Chapter 54: A Death

I ran to Jimmy as soon as I saw him come through the kitchen door. I wrapped my arms around his neck and he stumbled back a few steps. He chuckled and hugged me.

"You almost knocked me over," he said.

"I think she's too tiny for that," Tommy said as he came through the door.

I nuzzled myself into Jimmy's chest and grabbed fistfuls of his shirt. He kissed the top of my head before slipping his arms off of me.

"I should wash up," he said.

"I missed you today," I said.

"I'll be quick." He gave me another kiss. "Finish putting dinner on the table."

"Okay," I said as I pulled away from him.

I watched as Jimmy followed Tommy up the stairs. Carrie helped me put the rest of the dinner on the table. We both froze when we saw Charles walk into the kitchen.

He was panting for breath. His face was bright red and sweat was rolling down his forehead. He was clutching at his chest. He lowered himself into his chair.

Jimmy and Tommy were laughing as they walked down the stairs. Jimmy stopped laughing and his smile dropped when he saw his father. Tommy looked at Jimmy before shifting his gaze to Charles. His eyes widened.

"Dad, what's wrong?" Jimmy asked.

"Nothing," Charles said in between breaths. "I just seem...to not catch...my breath....my chest hurts."

"Maybe you should go lie down," Jimmy said.

"Nah," Charles wheezed. "I'll be okay."

"Dad-" Tommy started.

"No!" he shouted before clutching his chest even harder. "Boys, I don't need your help."

"Does your arm hurt too?" Carrie asked.

Tommy glared at her. She looked down at her feet.

"Carrie, be quiet," Tommy said.

"My arm does hurt," Charles said.

My heart sank in my chest when I realized what was going on.

"He's having a heart attack," I said.

"What?" Jimmy said. He ran over to Charles and kneeled down in front of him. "What do we do?"

"We have to bring him to the hospital," Carrie said.

"No," Charles said. "I am not going to a hospital. I'd rather die in this house."

"You're not going to die, Dad," Tommy said.

"Tom, help me get him to the couch," Jimmy said.

Tommy hurried over and threw Charles' arm over his shoulder. Jimmy did the same and they helped Charles out of the chair. They shuffled him into the living room and laid him down on the couch.

"Carrie," Tommy said. "Grab a pillow off our bed."

She nodded before running up the stairs. Tommy sat on the edge of the reclining chair with his eyes locked on Charles. Jimmy was pacing around the living room. I reached out to grab Jimmy's arm, but he shook me off.

"Dad," Jimmy said. "You're not dying."

"My father had a heart attack," Charles said. "It was like this and he died."

Carrie ran down the stairs with a pillow in her arms. She folded it in half and placed it behind Charles' head. He shut his eyes.

Carrie walked over to me in the corner of the living room. We watched it all happen, knowing there was nothing that we could do.