Chapter 21: Threats

I spent the night clinging to Jimmy. If he rolled over in his sleep, I would wake and nudge my way over so that I was pressed against his back. I fell into pockets of sleep, but it never lasted long. The faces of those three people stayed in my mind. I wondered if their bodies were in the basement or if they disposed of them somewhere else.

I had to remind myself that he did it to protect me.

When Jimmy's alarm went off, I rolled over and turned it off. Jimmy gave me a quizzical look. I brushed his hair off of his face and ran my finger along the scar.

"Good morning," I said.

"Morning," he said.

He took my hand, which had the ring, and kissed the back of it. He groaned before he rolled out of bed and I followed. Jimmy pulled clothes out of the dresser and handed them to me. I changed into a green sweater and a pair of jeans. I tugged on the neckline to ensure that Tommy's bite mark was hidden.

I brushed the knots out of my hair. Jimmy pulled his shirt over his head, which hid the key. I yawned and stretched my arms up over my head.

"Didn't sleep well?" Jimmy asked.

"No," I told him. "I couldn't stay asleep."

"You know why?"

I shrugged my shoulders and tied my hair up into a bun. Jimmy sat down on the foot of the bed.

"Come here, Julie," he said.

I walked over to him. He grabbed my waist and pulled me down onto his lap. He tightened his arms around me and kissed my cheek.

"I know what happened last night was scary," he said. "But that happens a lot here. We have to do it to keep you safe."

"Okay," I said.

"Now, tell me," he said. "Tell me that you know that you're safe here."

"I'm safe here."

"Good girl."

'He leaned down and he kissed me. I slipped my arms around his neck as I kissed him back. It felt good and I did not want to stop, but there was a knock on the door. Jimmy pulled away and rolled his eyes.

"We're coming!" he shouted at the door. He gave me another kiss and patted my thigh. "We need to go."

I leaned in for another kiss before getting up. He laced his fingers through mine and we walked down to the kitchen. Charles and Tommy were already at the table.

The swelling in Tommy's nose had gone down and his bruises had started to fade. Charles pushed his bowl away from him as we sat down. We all looked up at him.

"Jimmy, I want you to come out and help me this morning," he said. "Tommy, you stay inside and finish up. You can come outside once you are done."

"Dad, that can't happen," Jimmy said.

His large eyes managed to grow even larger, and I knew he was scared. I was too. I did not want to be left alone in this house with Tommy.

"I don't want Tommy alone with her," Jimmy said.

"I never touched her," Tommy said.

"Yes, you did! Stop lying about it!"

"I can't believe that you believe her over your own brother!"

"Boys!" Charles shouted.

Charles had stood from his chair. He was leaning forward and his hands were on the table. Jimmy and Tommy both sunk in their seats.