Chapter 44: Emme's Confession

I put my hand on Emme's back and guided her over to the kitchen. I pulled out one of the dining room chairs and helped her sit down. She wiped her tears off of her cheeks with the back of her hand. She ripped her glasses off of her face and set them down on the table.

"He did it, Julie," she sobbed. "He did it."

I knew what she was talking about, but I did not want to say it. I cradled my belly and prayed that I was carrying a boy. I could not turn into Emme in a few weeks. I pulled out a chair and sat across from her.

"I failed Taylor," she said. "How could I? I thought that it was a boy. I felt like it was a boy. When Taylor told me that it was a girl I begged and pleaded for him to let us keep her. I begged so hard, Julie."

I reached across the table and put my hand over hers. She lowered her head.

"I'm so sorry," I said.

I did not know what else to say. I was never good with crying people.

"It was a horrible noise," she said as she cried even harder.

"What was?" I asked.

Emme's head shot up. Her eyes were red and her tear streaked cheeks had gone pale. I bit down on my lip. I should not have asked.

"The crack," she said. "Taylor snapped her neck and this awful cracking noise was all that I could hear. It's like every time that it is quiet, this sound keeps playing over in my mind. It rings in my ears."

"I'm so sorry," I said.

Emme stood and rushed to my side of the table. She got down on her knees and put her hands on my belly. The baby started to kick. Emme could feel it, and her lips lifted into a smile. Tears were still trickling down her cheeks.

"Get out," she told me. "Get out of this house before you give birth. Don't lose your baby because of these traditions."

"I love Jimmy though," I said.

Emme leaned back, but kept her hands on my stomach. She sniffled and shook her head.

"Julie, we were kidnapped," she said.

"What?" I raised an eyebrow.

"We're not here because we want to be," she said.

"I love it in this house. Jimmy, Charles, and even Tommy are protecting me. I have never been happier than this before. They're my family. They-"

"Julie!" She cut me off. "That is complete bullshit."

I gasped. If Taylor heard what she was saying she would be punished for sure. I don't care what Emme says, I know that Jimmy loves me.

"No," I said. "I love him."

Emme shook her head. I curled my fingers into a fist and let out a deep breath as I tried to control my anger. Emme's hand ran up my belly.

"If Jimmy loves you then why are you not allowed to go outside?" she asked.

"It's not safe outside," I said.

I grabbed Emme's wrists and ripped her hands off my stomach.

"Why not?" Emme asked. "They're outside now."

"Because they're men and we are women," I said. "They have certain jobs and responsibilities, and so do we."

"Julie-"

"They're taking care of us."

"They do not love us!"

"Ssshh!"

I threw my hand over her mouth. My eyes darted over to the front door. My heart was pounding in my chest. If they heard what she was saying we would both be punished.

"You have to be careful what you say," I said in a harsh whisper.

"I don't care anymore," Emme said.

She pulled up the sleeves of her shirt. I was wondering why she was not wearing a T-shirt in this heat, but when I saw her arms I understood why. Her arms were laced with deep thick red lashes. She grabbed my wrists and flipped my arms over to show my own collection of scars.

"They punish us all the time," Emme said. "If they loved us they wouldn't do that."

"Jimmy is helping me learn how to be better," I said.

"Doesn't that sound like crap to you?"

I bit down on my lip and closed my eyes. I yanked my arms out of her grasp.

"You're upset," I said. I still kept my voice low so that the men could not hear us. "You lost your baby and that is horrible. But rules are rules. Girls are not allowed to be born into this family. Taylor made it easier on you by killing her right away, and you should be thankful for that. You should not be talking about the family this way."

"You'll understand when you have a girl," she said.

"Good thing I am having a boy," I said.

--

Emme and I spent the rest of the day in an awkward silence. I kept my back to her as I cooked dinner. She had offered to help, but I told her to stay at the table.

When the kitchen door opened, I looked up to see Jimmy and Taylor walking into the kitchen. Jimmy was smiling, and it made me happy to see. He slipped his arms around my waist and kissed the top of my head. His scent of dirt and grass filled my nose.

"How was your day, girls?" Jimmy asked.

"Good," Emme said.

Taylor pulled out a chair and sat next to Emme. She gave him a smile, and I knew that it was fake. She was upset with the family, but that would change when she gets pregnant again and has a son. She gave birth before I got pregnant, so she should be pregnant again soon.

"Yeah," I said.

Jimmy looked at me puzzled. I kissed him. When I pulled away, his eyebrows were still scrunched together.

"I need to talk to you later," he said.

My heart pounded in my chest. I nodded. He rubbed my belly before walking away.

"I'll be right back," Jimmy said. "I'm going to take a shower before dinner."

"Good," Tommy said. "You stink."

He was leaning back in one of the dining room chairs with his feet up on another chair. He was smirking and had his pocket knife out and was cleaning his nails.

"You're one to talk," Charles said. Tommy's smirk dropped and he flipped the blade back into the knife. "I think we should all clean up for dinner. It's a special time. Your cousin is down."

"Fine," Tommy said as he got out of his chair and stormed upstairs.

I hurried across the kitchen and grabbed Jimmy's hand. He gave me a quizzical look, and I tried to give him a reassuring smile. We walked in silence as we got up to our room. I sat on the edge of the bed. Jimmy stared at me as he crossed his arms over his chest.

"Julie," he said. "I can read you like a book. Tell me what is wrong."

"Nothing is wrong," I said.

Jimmy arched an eyebrow and shook his head.

"Don't lie to me," he said.

"I don't want anyone to get in trouble," I said.

"Why would you get in trouble?"

"Not me."

Jimmy let out a deep breath and raked his fingers through his hair. He crouched down in front of me and grabbed my hands. He ran his rough calloused thumb over my knuckles.

"Taylor warned me that Emme may be upset," he said. "Now, tell me everything she told you."

"You promise that she won't get in trouble?" I asked.

"I can't make that promise."

I sucked in a breath before I told him everything Emme told me.