Chapter 53: The Deal

Tommy gripped my side even harder. I kissed Hunter's forehead. I was shaking and I did not want him to know anything was wrong.

"What do you say?" Tommy asked.

I squeezed my eyes shut as I tried to think. I didn't want Carrie to get hurt. I knew if he was nicer to her, she would settle in right away. I was Jimmy's wife though. If Jimmy found out that I had sex with Tommy he would kill me.

"Before you answer, I want you to know something," Tommy said. "I'm getting impatient with Carrie. If she continues to scream and fight me, I will make that wound on her stomach look like a scratch."

I struggled to swallow against the lump in my throat. I was nodding without even noticing.

"Okay," I said. "I'll do it."

"Julie," I could hear Jimmy say from the other side of the hall. "Come to our room."

"You won't regret this." Tommy kissed my cheek and I thought I was going to be sick. "If you tell Jimmy about this I will kill Hunter and Carrie."

I pulled myself out of his grasp. I stepped out into the hall. Jimmy was leaning against the doorframe of our room. I struggled to stop my feet from running toward him. I did not want Jimmy to know that anything was wrong.

He wrapped his arm around me and kissed me. He picked Hunter up out of my arms and smiled at him.

"I just wanted to get you out of Tommy's bedroom," he said. "You can warm up dinner. I'll take care of Hunter."

"Okay." I got up on my toes and gave him another kiss.

I hurried downstairs and pulled the leftovers out of the fridge. I hummed to myself as I tried my best not to think about Tommy's deal. My hands were shaking, and I could not stop them. Tommy would come inside tomorrow and force me into his bed.

An awkward weight came thudding down the stairs. I looked over my shoulder to see Carrie. She had a tight grip on the railing and Tommy was beside her. His arm was snaked around her waist as he helped her. Carrie's face winced with every step that she took. I listened as she shuffled over to the table and Tommy pulled the chair out at the dining room table.

I put the food on the table. Charles came down and smiled when he saw Carrie. She stared down at her knees and her hair draped down in front of her face. Jimmy came down with Hunter in his arms. He placed Hunter down in his crib.

We passed around dinner with no one knowing of this deal.

--

I did not want to let go of Jimmy before he left to go outside. I had my arms wrapped tightly around him and had my face buried in his neck. Jimmy chuckled as I nuzzled my face into his neck and he rubbed my back. He pulled himself away from me and pressed his lips against my forehead. Charles and Tommy were already outside.

"Be good," he said.

"I will," I said before kissing him again.

I watched as Jimmy left the kitchen. Carrie was sitting at the table and Hunter was in his crib. I did not see any new bruises or cuts on Carrie's face or arms. I knew that Tommy kept his side of the deal so I was going to have to repay him.

"We need to clean today," I said.

Carrie nodded and followed me to the closet. I handed her a broom and pulled out the mixture of water and vinegar I use to disinfect everything. Carrie started sweeping the floor while I washed the counter and the sink.

"Is this all you do all day?" Carrie asked.

"Yeah," I said. "It gets really boring."

"No doubt. I'd go crazy."