Chapter 24: Out in the Open

"I was not expecting to see that," Charles said after we came downstairs for breakfast. "I didn't think you would chop it all off."

"Julie did it for me," Jimmy said.

I still had not gotten used to looking at the change. I had memorized the same three faces for the past few months. I learned every one of their details, especially Jimmy's. Now without his long hair tucked behind his ears, his face was much more exposed to me.

"It looks good," Charles said.

"Yeah," Tommy said. "You no longer look like a girl."

Jimmy glared at him and Tommy smiled. Charles cleared his throat.

"I have been talking to Uncle Noah," Charles said.

The mood in the room changed. Jimmy and Tommy went from glaring at each other to smiling like little kids on Christmas morning.

"He told me that we can come over for a visit whenever we want," Charles said.

"So when will that be?" Tommy asked.

"It all depends on your brother," he said. "When do you think we should go?"

Jimmy looked over at me. He was biting his bottom lip. I dropped my spoon as I lost my appetite. Jimmy was the one to decide when his family meets me, and he does not look happy. Was he embarrassed by me?

"Give me a week," Jimmy said.

"A week?" Charles said wryly. "I know she's settling in very well, but that seems a little ambitious for you. You know she'll have to be completely comfortable with the idea before we go to their house."

They were talking about me like I was not even sitting here. I wanted to ask them what they were talking about, but I managed to control myself.

Jimmy put his hand on my knee underneath the table. He flashed me a quick smile. He tried to brush his hair behind his ear. Some old habits die hard.

"Yeah, a week will be enough time," he said.

"It better be," Charles said. "Don't put it off and don't disappoint the family."

"I don't plan on it," he said. "I wasn't going to put it off for very much longer anyways."

Put off what? I wanted to scream.

I stayed quiet and looked over at Jimmy. Charles and him were staring at each other like they were reading their minds. I dared to look over at Tommy, and he was smirking. He knew what they were talking about.

"Juliet," Charles said, turning his attention toward me. "I've noticed that you have started eating more now."

"Yes," I said. "Is that okay?"

"It's more than okay," he said. "You're settling in great. You have really become part of the family."

The heat rushed up to my cheeks and I smiled. Jimmy's hand was still on my leg, and he rubbed my thigh.

"Thank you," I said.

"It's my pleasure," Charles said. "We haven't had a beautiful face since Marilyn - the boys' mother - had died."

It was the first time I have heard any of them mention Charles' wife. There were only a few photos around the house, but none of them had a female in them. I always found that strange. If they were missing her, they would want photos of her around.

Jimmy and Tommy both looked surprised at the mention of their mother's name. Tommy got up out of the chair and dropped the bowl in the sink. He went out the back door without saying a word.