FLASHBACK - Us.

writer's pov

It was January, Victoria had just reached her fourth month of pregnancy. It had only been a short time since she had shared that with Dam, and since that day the two of them had been beaming. They still didn't see each other as a couple, Victoria thought he only saw her as the mother of his child, but he thought of so much more than that. The feelings had always been there inside, they just couldn't get out for many years. But it seems that deep down, they always knew that this was their destiny. Fate was bound to bring them together, no matter what. And if a little sprout resulted from their love, it was also for a reason. In the end, it is we who design our destiny, but it sometimes takes directions we don't expect.

 A small baby shower was organised by both of them at Vic's newly-modelled, newly-decorated home. With just family and friends, Victoria burst into that typical dark balloon wearing a pair of stretchy bell-bottom trousers and a white cropped, from which protruded her now firmer chest, and purple papers popped out of it. A little girl. Their little girl. Their greatest treasure. Many hugs, tears and presents later, it was almost midnight. Damiano would turn twenty-six that early morning. By surprise, Vic and his almost-mother-in-law had prepared a birthday cake saying "Tanti auguri pappa", and along with that was a cardboard box with a pair of Dr Martens inside. As soon as he saw the cake, he kissed Vic's forehead and her belly button, and collapsed in emotion. Who knew that this reality, still very new to them both, would make them so harmonious, so happy. It seemed they were born for it. The lilac papers and apple juice drips were being cleaned up with a hoover by Dami and Nica, who was almost gone. The clock in the living room was pointing to 3am, and Victoria, who had already changed into pajamas of a red checkered trouser and an oversized shirt, eating the rest of the almond biscuits that no one had touched at the party. That was one of her pleasures, almond biscuits made specifically at the bakery she used to snack on every day after school. Her second most recent food craving was tangerines, or citrus fruits in general. He watched her, lying on the couch with her t-shirt tied down her ribcage, highlighting her belly, watching an episode of Peaky Blinders. In weeks, she had watched that entire series, and had started The Umbrella Academy along with it. As he finished tidying up, Damiano stepped into the shower stall and took a quick shower to the sound of Juanes' La Camisa Negra on repeat on his little bluetooh speaker, along with more other artists. While looking for some of his clothes among Vic's things, he finds an envelope from that Austrian hospital. Inside were images of the baby, who he had seen before, but couldn't get enough of watching her.

"How do you picture her?" he asks, walking into the living room.

"Her who? The baby?" Vic confirms, as he opens a bottle of water.

"Yeah... How do you think..."he says, getting close to her belly.

" How you gonna be, baby. I know you may not expect this news but you are my daughter, and I am your father. Have you seen the bad luck you've had? With such a beautiful mother, your father could even be Shawn Mendes," he pauses, just as he hears Vic's uncontrollable laughter. "What happened?"

"You didn't feel it?" she asks, between giggles.

"What?"

"She... she moved. I felt a movement in my rib. Did you see it?"

"No, sorry..."

"Sorry for what, you idiot? She'll get sick of moving in the next five months. Wait, talk to her."

"What do I say?" he asks, bewildered.

"Just talk."

"Well, hello baby, again. You have to know that..." the brunette thinks a bit, "your father sings, and has tattoos all over his body, loves cats so you'll have to like them too, that he's a jerk a lot of the time, that he can't express himself, a proud shit, stubborn, but your mother seems to have liked that about him. And your mother... your mother is a goddess. She plays an instrument called bass, she travels with me all over the world. Everyone says you're going to be just like her, and I think so too. She has such a strong personality as well as her resilience. She's a fighter, as you will be too. And even though she's very annoying I like her, and you too." he said, leaning against her belly.