chapter 32

VICTORIA'S POV

"It was when I stopped searching for home whitin others and lifted the foundations of home whitin myself I found there were no roots more intimate that those between a mind and body that have decided to be whole."

CARLY. Rupi Kaur.

After feeling unwell in my room, there came a strong light reaching my eyes, and turning my gaze to the colorless walls of the hospital. 4 days in the hospital, 2 of them in the ICU. I didn't feel that unwell, but I could also realize that I was bad. I had been having the same symptoms for almost 1 week: dizziness, nausea, and drowsiness.

If my tests were safe enough, I could go home. But the truth was that I had begun to think that the hospital had already become a second home in those last few weeks. There, even though the colors of the walls were the same, the floor blue, the sheets the same, the clothes the same, food the same, they took care of me. They were sure that my pulse was good, that my blood sugar was average, that I had eaten well, that I didn't get worse, and that I wasn't breathless. Most of the nurses are nice, although the ones in charge of the patients are always changing because of the shifts. The ones on the night shift were careful to try to keep the room not so bright, they didn't wake me up when they gave me more medication. The morning ones, who bathed me. The afternoon ones, who were usually always in a better mood.

Sasha was a nurse on duty but was more present in the ICU. Short, redheaded, with giant eyes. When she passed by my room, she would wave to me and manage to bring me meals at the right times. After a brief conversation, I realized that she was in her last year of nursing school, and this was her last year of internship. At that time, she was more focused on cardiology, hence her interest in my case. In a very natural way, she asked me if she could study my case in her senior thesis, and I accepted.

That afternoon in the middle of October, she came into my room, again, to prepare me for a wheelchair "trip": the exams. That's what she called it. A doctor in a pink uniform examined me on my first day of hospitalization and indicated a urine test for me to take. The cardiologist, an electrocardiogram, a ray with a name that is super hard to write and say. The pulmonologist did a CT scan of my chest. The neurologist did a CT scan of the head. Not to mention blood tests and everything that was considered an excretion. A job that could be performed by 1 general doctor was performed in a team of 4. After all, I was paying thousands for my health for a reason.

Succeeding my fainting during the blood tests, I felt the nurses putting me on a gurney and take me to some elevators, and then I opened my eyes again. I was in my room again, an IV bottle hanging from an iron dispenser. I could watch the sunset through the small bedroom window, which was rarely fully open. Since I didn't have a phone, I learned to orient myself by the state of the sky in ICUs. On a small table were my discharge papers. What a relief. Next to it was a small bunch of white tulips, 3 to be precise. "D.," it said on a small sign. He knew I liked flowers like that, in odd numbers. He had been with me, but I was the one who wasn't conscious of it. I knew I talked to him, just didn't know what we were talking about.

It was almost 9 pm, and I was already getting ready to spend another night in the hospital since nobody was saying anything to me, or giving any directions. Just as I was about to open my little backpack again, I saw Sasha enter the room, with the doctor in the baby pink uniform. Obstetrician. I knew. Deep down, I always knew.

"Victoria."

"So, can I go home?"

"Before I do... We have something to talk about."

"Well...." Sasha continued. "We detected a different hormone in your urine and your blood."

"Victoria... you, you are pregnant," stated the doctor.

-

hi guys!! were you expecting this news? let me know in the comments!

tks for reading <3,

mel.