Private Conversations and Pancakes

PEYTON

Thankfully, the guy Trinity brought home wasn't much more than a two pump chump, and he left as soon as the deed was done. Trinity grunted something unsatisfactory in her drunken state, but rolled over and went to sleep. Just like that.

I, on the other hand, couldn't even fathom what had just happened. I stared into the darkness with a pounding heart and an open mouth. All the while, Trinity snored away in the bed across from me like nothing had happened.

There was no way I could live this way.

As soon as the first morning light seeped in between the shades, I got out of bed and made my way to the bathroom, where I got dressed. There was nobody else awake, but that was fine by me. I needed some time to sort out my thoughts. So much had happened since I arrived back on campus less than 24 hours earlier.

The campus was almost as deserted as the bathroom had been. I walked around for almost an hour before I decided to call Max. I considered texting Beau or Amanda, but he was on West Coast time and most likely asleep. Amanda would only get wound up, and there was really nothing she could do about it. Max, however, was usually up early with all the morning lifts and stuff he had to do. Plus, he was involved with the residence department.

He answered after only two rings. "What's up QB?"

"Hey."

"What's going on? You're up early."

"Yeah." That was for sure, and not really by choice. "Do you have anything going on this morning, or do you want to go get a cup of coffee?"

He hesitated. "Um, just coffee?"

That made me giggle. "We can get food too if you're hungry." Which he usually was.

He chuckled. "Yeah. Food sounds good. Want me to come get you?"

"No, I'm already out. I'll just walk to you."

There was some rustling in the background and Max said. "Alright, give me ten."

The walk to Max's house didn't take ten minutes, so I took my time, but despite walking slowly, I got there in half the time. The house was dark, and not wanting to wake anyone up, I sat down on the front steps and waited for Max.

He appeared a couple of minutes later. Freshly showered, with a big grin on his handsome face.

"Hey," he smiled and pulled me into a hug. He was big and solid and smelled amazing. I let myself relax against him for a few seconds, drawing strength from his embrace. But as nice as it was, it was a friendly hug, and nothing like being in Beau's arms.

I withdrew from him just to find Lance coming up the walkway towards us. He was dressed in workout clothes and, from the look of it, he'd been out for a run. There was a scowl on his face as he stared from me to Max.

"Good morning," I said, but all I got in return was some kind of grunt. Max didn't even react. He just took my hand in his and led me towards his car that was parked on the street.

"Where do you want to go?" he asked, like Lance hadn't just acted like a douche.

"How about that little pancake place we went to one time?" I suggested. The food had been amazing, and it was far enough away from campus that I didn't think any students would be there. At least not this early.

Max agreed and, after letting go of my hand, opened the door to his car for me.

"So tell me about the new roommate," he said after he got the car started. "How's that going?"

I groaned out loud.

"What?" he chuckled.

"Let's just say there's a reason why I'm up this early."