Old Friend

PEYTON

The first couple of weeks of college went as expected. I was on time for every class, kept my head down, and did all the required work. It had been my motto during high school and it seemed to work at college, too. So far, at least.

The only disruption to my routine was Max. He somehow managed to wiggle his way into my safety net. It started when I ran into him in the cafeteria. Like literally. I was hurrying to get to the last plate of chicken nuggets and fries. Max was standing nearby - which I didn't even notice because I was so focused on the food. He took a step away from the water cooler and I plowed right into him. Because why wouldn't I? Why wouldn't I be the one to make a scene, in the cafeteria, no less?

So much for keeping my head down and myself out of trouble. Thankfully, nothing happened to Max. At all. It was like hitting a brick wall, although warmer and a bit softer. I bounced off him from the impact and was heading for the floor, but Max's lightning-quick football reflexes kicked in and he grabbed me before I made a complete fool out of myself.

"Wow QB, what's with the rush?" he asked with a big grin. That kind that displayed perfectly white teeth and made girls' hearts flutter. Yeah, I totally got why he was one of the popular guys on campus, even at a school the size of ours. He was definitely both attractive and charming.

"Oh, um... the chicken nuggets..." I gestured towards the display behind him like some six-year-old. And, of course, the display was now empty. As the embarrassment swept over me, I felt my pulse quicken. I knew I was blushing, bad. I'd actually just admitted that I'd been running to get chicken nuggets, and not just in my head. No, I said it out loud.

Max chuckled and tilted his head towards a guy dressed in a 'chess is life' t-shirt who was carrying my basket of yummy-looking fried goodness. "Looks like you missed out. Sorry about that, QB."

"Oh, uhm..." I straightened myself up and brushed my hair out of my face, all while I wished the 'chess is life' guy would fall on his face. I gave an evil glare to his back as he disappeared near the exit. Then I immediately felt bad for wishing ill will on a guy just for scoring the food I'd wanted.

PMS-ing was truly awful. I was acting way weirder than normal.

I took a deep breath and attempted to get myself together, hating how awkward I got around guys. Especially attractive ones.

"Come on, I'll get you lunch," Max offered.

I must've truly looked desperate if he took pity on me, which didn't make me feel any better.

"No... that's okay."

Max's expression softened. "It was my fault you lost out on the chicken nuggets. How about a burger, or maybe pizza instead?"

"You don't have to do that."

"I know," he nudged my arm with his elbow, "but I want to. Come on."

And now I was nervous and frazzled for a whole other reason. Max was getting me lunch. I could almost hear Becca's voice telling me to take the opportunity and ask about the party. But all I said was "okay... thanks."

"Which one?" He asked, still grinning, his bright blue eyes focused on my blushing face.

Clearly, the awkwardness wasn't going away. I swore internally to get my shit together.

"Either I guess."

"Okay, QB, pizza it is."

And pizza it was. Max and I ended up eating together in the crowded cafeteria. We sat across from each other at a small table, and we didn't have more than ten minutes to eat because we both had class, but it was nice nonetheless, and I managed to stay at least somewhat normal.