Late Morning

BEAU

Justin was in the middle of pouring himself a cup of coffee when I walked into the kitchen. I wasn't surprised that he was up before me. That happened more often than not, but it surprised me that he was already dressed and looked ready to go.

Usually, me and him spent some time lounging around in the morning, drinking coffee and catching up on the news. Especially after a late night gig. But as it was, Justin didn't seem to be suffering any effects from New Year's Eve. He looked put together in a pair of black jeans and a gray oversized button-up shirt in some thick material. Not quite flannel but not a regular cotton shirt, either. His long hair was neatly pulled back into a bun.

I groaned as I ran my hand through my hair. I needed to get ready, too, but I didn't feel like putting a lot of effort into it. If we weren't traveling I wouldn't even bother, but I knew the label would appreciate if I didn't get off the plane looking like a homeless man.

It was already late and a quick glance at the large clock on the wall above the couch in the livingroom showed it was much later than I'd expected, and that we were in fact overdue on checking out. I hadn't realized just how little time I actually had. 

After Peyton left, I'd stayed in bed for another hour or so. I'd been in that in between state when you're not quite sleeping but not fully awake either. I knew that once I got out of bed, the craziness of my new life would take over. We were leaving straight for the airport, and then we had a couple of days to settle in to the rental house and a new city before we started recording the new album in LA.

"Hey," I said and grabbed an empty cup out of the cabinet.

"Morning," Justin responded.

I held my cup out, and he poured coffee into it.

"Not sure it still qualifies as morning."

He chuckled. "You're probably right."

I blew on the hot liquid that smelled amazing.

"Want this?" Justin asked and handed me a tiny glass bottle filled with a white cream-like substance.

"Cream?" I asked.

"I think it's half and half, but I'm not sure. Tastes good though."

I poured a generous amount into the cup and used Justin's spoon to stir it.

I took a couple of long sips, giving the caffeine a few seconds to make me feel more human. The coffee was dark and bold, and just perfect. There was no way this was hotel coffee.

"Ally?" I asked. She must have dropped the stuff off for us. She knew exactly what we liked after managing us on tour.

Justin nodded. "There are some muffins and shit over there," he said and pointed to a basket on the counter behind him which I hadn't seen until he pointed it out. "And sandwiches in the fridge."

I opened the fridge and found a whole tray full of gourmet sandwiches. It was too much for me to start the day with. I needed something lighter in the morning. Too bad because they'd probably go to waste.

I closed the door again and walked over to the baked goods basket. There were assorted muffins wrapped individually, a couple of large coffee cakes, and a few danishes. I selected a coffee cake and tore into the wrapper.

"Give me a blueberry muffin," Justin requested, and held his hand out. I found one that looked like it could be blueberry and put it in his hand.

"Where are the others?" I asked after I took a bite of the cake.

Ally had done it again. The coffee cake was as good as it looked.

"Lucas is sleeping. I have no idea where Dane is other than he's not here."