Persuasion

PEYTON

It took a hell of a lot of persuasion, but after that discussion, I'm not sure if I'd ever need to take a public speaking class, or take part in any debate classes. Or maybe I should because after that performance, I'd ace them all.

I convinced my mom to let me go with Amanda. I argued that I'd attended all of Eli's other award ceremonies, and this was Amanda's gift for me. It would be rude to drop out last minute when she'd gone through all the trouble of planning a trip for the both of us.

Maybe the tears I cried helped, because once she gave in, she told me to have a great time and to thank Amanda's aunt and uncle, and for me to be careful.

I could barely contain my excitement. Once I got into my bedroom, I screamed into my pillow and then proceeded to dance around the place like a complete lunatic.

I texted Mandi to let her know we were good to go and for her to play along if my mom asked anything about the trip. Amanda responded she would say that her aunt had gotten us everything, and they had the room next to ours.

"That's great," I responded, knowing my mom would be comfortable with that, while in reality, we might be next door to Justin. Or Lucas, or maybe Beau.

"Oh my god," I sighed. I was going to see Beau. Like in real life, and not just in texted pictures. Both on stage and afterwards. The butterflies in my stomach hummed.

I was very excited to see him again, but nervous at the same time. It was embarrassing that I was fangirling over Beau, but I couldn't help it. And I hated that.

It wasn't like I wanted to like him. I realized it was a heartache waiting to happen. I had witnessed firsthand what it did to Amanda, after she slept with Dane, and I didn't want that for myself.

Granted, I considered Beau a friend, even if it wasn't a very close one. But we kept in touch, and he texted me little snippets from his life on tour. That had to count for something, right?

Dane and Amanda never had that.

I unpacked the bag I had packed to stay the night at Amanda's house and repacked it with the black pantsuit Amanda got me for Christmas. I added a pair of black wedge heels, a jean jacket, jeans and sweater for the day after, and a shirt to sleep in. And the prettiest underwear I had.

Then a second later, I removed them and put them on the bed. Why would I need pretty underwear? It wasn't like I was planning on letting someone take my vCard.

My pulse quickened as I stared at the pretty black bra with a touch of lace.

"What the hell?" I said out loud and put the bra and panties back into the bag and quickly zipped it shut.

A girl could hope.

And I did, even though I knew it was wrong.

***

The haircut turned out better than I'd expected. Laura added some layers to my hair but kept most of the length, and blew it straight. It fell smoothly over my shoulders in silky brown tresses. Amanda was right when she said Laura was great. I felt really good about myself when I got into the car with Amanda.

We were packed and ready to go. With sodas and snacks, and the Trudge Lite playlist, we were ready for a three plus hour drive.

"I still can't believe we're doing this," I admitted as Amanda turned onto the highway.

"Believe it girlfriend," Amanda giggled.

We rocked out in the car as we drove towards Charlotte, North Carolina, playing Trudge Lite's album on repeat, and singing along like our lives depended on it. We hadn't even gotten to the New Year's Eve party yet, and it was already the best night of my life.