10| head over heals

Among the horizon, golden rays filtered through the gaps of clustered trees that lined the perimeter of broad open grass land on Hawthorne's grounds.

Small water droplets that clung to the blades of grass from the morning due glistened under the rising sun, leaving the ground damp and prone for the cause of an occasional accident to students.

Despite the blazing flames that burnt against the land and the eyes of those who stared directly into the rusted orange light, the air held a strong chill that made Lily shiver.

Whilst other students groaned and moaned to the sports coach about having to play football in the cold, Lily pottered about on the sidelines of the pitch that had been sprayed white onto the grass. Tuning out the loud whistle that Mr Anderson blew every ten seconds and the verbal onslaught between the students on opposing teams as they kicked the ball around and at each other, Lily let herself become tranquil as she admired the scenic view.

Clothed in the schools branded navy blue sports polo and a particularly short and shaping skort to match, the autumn breeze soothed the freckled girls soul as it softly caressed her skin.

And as the nights grew longer; the days shorter, her spirit became harmonious with the changing the season.

"Forcing us to do physical activity at this time in the morning is just criminal."

Lily glanced to her side where Izara stood with her arms wrapt tightly around her torso, shivering with a disinterested expression on her features.

"I could be in a free period right now, this is such a waste of our time," Lily agreed, stepping aside as the ball rolled towards her followed by someone who picked it up to throw it back in.

A distinct chuckle from the brunette provoked Lily's brows to furrow in a questionable manner. "What?"

Shaking her head Izara looked at the blonde apologetically, "no offence but, every time I look at your face I can't help but laugh," she intoned through giggles.

Lily rolled her eyes, lifting her hand to touch the plaster she had found in her bathroom cabinet to cover the gash across her nose. "You look like you've been beat up." Izara teased the blonde and Lily couldn't suppress a small smile as the corner of her lips pulled upwards. "I feel like it too." The pair chuckled together at Lily's curse of common misfortune.

In the midst their incessant cackles between the caricatures of Lily that Izara jested and hoax gestures of offence that Lily made with each joke, they were too distracted to take notice of the football game as the ball was played up their side of the pitch where they stood.

With the warm orange rays somewhat disrupting her vision as they shone into her eyes, Lily squinted leaving her clueless to the ball that came flying right towards her.

By the time she had caught onto the object that came speeding right towards her in the corner of her eye, it was too late. She turned at the last moment, her head facing right towards it, and with her reflexes lacking speed and agility– the ball collided with the front of her face, hard.

The sheer force of the ball hitting her face mixed with damp grass knocked the blonde backwards, tumbling to her backside onto the wet ground.

"Shit," Izara uttered, moving towards the girl and bending down on her knees to assess the damage. Lily squeezed her eyes shut and held her palm to her face where the ball had left a sharp pain and possibly and concussion.