13| lure

As the evening drew darker, the witching season approached its final peak hours.

Once pink sky's had faded into obsidian, the nightly winds enticed the leaves of ancient trees to ripple with each brush of the hand of the chilling phantom that swept through the land. And as those spectral fingers grazed the chins of the the flaccid October foliage in its passing, it seized all attention to its direction, inducing hushed cacophonous gasps. But in a swift motion—when that deathly touch ceased, few of those obsequious were inveigled to shadow the alluring being in its path and enthralled to sever from their life source.

The airy spectre whispered a wry cackle with every gentle murder as the life drained from those naive and enchanted by its uncanny beauty. They descended in slow, waved motions, side-to-side. Like being exiled from cryptic heavenly gates, they cascaded to unyielding grounds where they would peril and cease for their sin.

Nothing could forestall such a being as it charged through streets and past buildings, until when it swept upwards to trespass through an open window that was sharply slammed shut, hindering its self-proclaimed right of entry.

"Jesus christ Lily, close your god damn windows for once will you, my tits are gonna freeze off."

Izara shivered from the ghastly cold temperature that Lily consistently kept her room at. She had to stand on the blonde's pine green two seater to reach over and pull the window shut and in doing so, disturbed the sleepy kitten who rested on the window sill. Having gotten too close for her liking, the furry creature snarled at the brunette girl and hissed as the fur on the back on her neck stuck up.

Quickly retracting away from the grumpy beast, Izara lifted her hands up in innocent defence and snarled back in a shared dislike. "Stop being a little prick. I helped save your life too you know, and this is how you repay me?" She argued with dramatised hand gestures and pointed her finger straight at the furry creature in accusation—right in the strike zone of sharp claws that swiped at the finger. But with timeless experience of being clawed at, Izara was quick to snatch her hand back.

"You little shit." She held her hand tightly to her chest and glared at the small hissing beast in disbelief.

Lily and Benjamin both let out contained chuckles at their friends dispute with the furry creature. The dark-haired boy had been sat unmoving on the blondes small vanity stool for a prolonged amount of time as she illustrated his features with a meticulous hand and a brush with black face paint and dark makeup— painting his face with concise delineation of undeadly horror.

Placing the brush down on the vanity, Lily moved to the window and picked up the kitten, holding her to her chest with her arms wrapped around the lighter coloured belly as the lower part of the feline dangled in her loving hold.

Taking a precautious step back, Izara squinted her eyes as she watched as the once vicious creature immediately calmed when the freckled girl picked it up. Its long, dark patterned tail swayed in content but the piercing green eyes remained contemptuous as they glared at the brunette girl.

"Lily that—beast, is the incarnation of satan," Izara pleaded but the blonde girl disregarded her complaints with a giggle.

"Maybe. But she's the sweetest little bean for me," Lily cooed as she scratched the soft fur between the kitten's pointed ears, enticing a small pur as the ears lowered and twitched. Izara rolled her eyes but her face subtlety began to drop to more sombre and thoughtful features as she observed the blondes warm smile as she peppered the auspicious beast with kisses, looking at it with pure adoration as it too, looked at her.