9. I Become Eyeless Jack

I opened my eyes to look at the world around me.

Instead I saw nothing.

My hand flew up to my eyes and I winced when I felt one of my fingers poke one of my eyes. At least, that's what I expected to happen. Instead, my finger went into where my eye should be instead.

I just shut my eyelids as tight as I could and curled up. There was no way this could be really happening. Absolutely no way.

"Jack?" I heard a tired voice come from the spot next to me.

"Mhm?" I replied half-heartedly.

"I thought you were up, I just wasn't sure," the voice said from beside me. I felt a hand grab my own and I quickly pulled my hand out of their grip.

"Sorry," I mumbled. I wasn't really interested in talking to anyone right now. Instead, I wanted to figure out what the fuck happened.

Then I remembered.

The job, the basement, the fight, the jailbreak. Everything.

"Hoodie?" I asked quietly.

"What's up?" He asked. I could hear a chair slightly scrape against the ground.

"Where are we exactly?" I uncurled and sat up, crossing my legs. I still didn't open my eyes. Not like it would make much of a difference considering I don't have them.

"My home," he said, "Want me to show you around? Or do you want to rest more?"

"I'm too awake to rest any longer," I replied quietly.

"So I guess I get to show you around then?" He asked hopefully.

"You can try."

"Try?" Hoodie questioned.

"Nevermind," I mumbled. I hate to say it, but it was honestly embarrassing. I know it shouldn't be, but I don't want to need help getting around, I don't want to be viewed as less able than everyone else, and I didn't want Hoodie to think of me any differently.

"Alright then, come on," Hoodie said, tugging me off the bed I was sitting on. I almost fell forward but caught myself on Hoodie's arm. What was weird though? I could smell him. Not in a creepy way though, or in the way where I could smell that the person two seats away from me during my college lectures still used ax body spray as a 20 year old. I could actually smell him, and it was super fucking weird. I got hints of pine from him, as well as the faint scent of cigarette smoke. It wasn't extremely noticeable though so I was fairly certain he wasn't a smoker.

He pulled me through the room and opened a door, then he guided me down what I assumed was a short hallway before turning right. I registered what was happening too late and missed the first step down the stairs. I fell forward onto Hoodie and sent us both tumbling down the stairs. The fall didn't last too long so I assumed it wasn't that big of a staircase.

"Fuck," I groaned as I collapsed at the bottom.

"Dude how the fuck did you miss the stairs?" A sadly familiar voice laughed off to my left. I sat up, shooting a glare in his direction and he quickly fell silent.

"Oh shit," he said quietly.

Oh shit indeed. I just groaned and closed my eyes, letting myself fall back. I hit Hoodie who was trying to sit up and knocked him down. Hoodie groaned from underneath me. Maybe I should have cared but at the same time I could only be upset at myself. I wanted to keep the whole, 'yeah dude apparently I'm blind and don't fucking have eyes anymore' thing to myself for a little longer than the two minutes it took someone to find out.

"Dude you don't have eyes," Jeff said.

"Wow, really? I didn't realize," I remarked sarcastically.

"What?" Hoodie asked from underneath me. Damn, I kinda forgot he was there, despite the fact that I was laying on top of him.

I rolled over, dragging a startled yelp from the man I was laying on as I accidentally elbowed his stomach. My bad.

I put my chin on his chest and looked at him. At least I hoped I was looking at him.

I felt two hands grab my face and Hoodie quickly sat up, sending me rolling off him. I was quickly brought up to a sitting position though. I could feel his warm breath on my face as he examined my 'eyes'.

Holy hell this was embarrassing.

"You don't have eyes," Hoodie breathed out.

"You sure? I could have sworn I did," I muttered, coating my words in a thick layer of sarcasm. It would be really nice if people could stop telling the person who doesn't have eyes that they don't have eyes.

"Well I guess you're still just as sassy as ever though," Hoodie laughed weakly. He let go of my face.

"Me? Sassy? Never."

I heard footsteps approaching and the smell of cigarettes grew stronger.

"Why are you guys sitting on the floor?" The person who I quickly identified as Masky asked.

"For fun," I grumbled.

"Jack doesn't have eyes," Hoodie said. I heard him stand up.

"Really?" Masky asked, traces of disbelief obvious in his voice.

"No, I'm just pretending my old boss gouged out my eyes for fun." I really was on a roll with the sarcasm today. I looked in his direction and glared at him the best I could.

"Holy shit you don't have eyes," Masky said.

"Will people stop telling me that already?"

"So what now?" Jeff asked. Damn, I forgot he was there.

"I guess we take Jack to Slender so he can get officially recruited?" Hoodie suggested.

"Oh, oh!" Jeff laughed, "We can call him Eyeless Jack."

"Can you be any more unoriginal?" I sighed, laying back down on the floor.

"I mean, Masky and Hoodie are also pretty unoriginal," Jeff said.

"At least we didn't just add 'The Killer' to the end of our names and call it good," Masky muttered.

"Why's he Eyeless Jack? Last time I checked he had eyes," Toby said, entering the room we were all in.

"Might want to check again then," Jeff told him. He really was a menace.

I felt a hand on my face and then my closed eyelid was gently tugged open. I heard both Hoodie and Masky groan Toby's name while Jeff laughed.

"Oh, he doesn't have eyes. That's kinda cool. Can you still see?"

"Toby, most people who don't have eyes, can't fucking see," I informed him, maybe not in the nicest way.

"I guess that makes sense. How are you going to do missions then?"

"He doesn't officially work with us yet," Hoodie informed him, "We're going to go talk with Slender about it in a little while."

"Can I come?" Toby asked hopefully.

"You," Masky said, approaching the direction of Toby's voice, "You and me are going to go into town and go shopping for food."

He paused for a second.

"And we're going to get EJ some stuff too."

Two pairs of footsteps left the room.

"And thus, the name Eyeless Jack is official," Jeff said, walking out of the room.

What did I even get myself into?

A/N-

Started online classes today- absolutely slaying

yeah take care of yourself <3