Bonus Chapter

Thank you so much for 10K, this is a bonus chapter just for you guys! Enjoy x

Cameron

10 years ago

"Hey man," Leo tumbled out of the classroom with a grin and his bag slung across his shoulder, he always looked so happy something I had always struggled with, "That was hard, wasn't it? Maths, not really for me you know, luckily I won't need any of that, cause all I need to be able to do is shoot straight,"

I rolled my eyes at him, "Shooting straight requires maths,"

His face scrunched up in confusion before he frowned, "No it doesn't."

"You know a straight line is 180 degrees right?"

He paused a second, a completely blank look on his face as he scratched the back of his neck and let out a, "No?"

"You're hopeless you know," but I couldn't fault Leo in that, math was hard, but it came easily to me, not that it mattered that I enjoyed numbers, and the satisfaction of solving a particularly difficult problem, my life was already planned for me.

It was set in stone.

I was Cameron Grayson the heir to the Vipers, the largest gang in our area, I had seen more violence than what should have been acceptable for any child. And Leo had too.

"Well, I'm going to be your right hand, you be the brains and I'll be the brawn," and with a stupid look on his face, he pretended to flex his muscles, that was when Latrell came sprinting over to us, a look of panic on his face, his glasses half falling off as he was running, "CAM, CAM, you need to do something!"

He was shouting and all of a sudden there was a commotion, students were running and the all too familiar cry of 'FIGHT' was ringing through the halls.

But it was never like this, there would be small spat here or there, someone roughing someone up but never with this many people, all running in one direction. The teachers were bewildered shouting at the trampling students to get back and before I knew it I was running, with Latrell and Leo by my side all three of us sporting the same concerned face.

People knew who I was so they parted like the Red Sea when I approached allowing us through. We burst from the doors onto the playground and sure enough, there was a circle of people, all jeering and in the middle of it was a girl standing tall, wiping blood from her lip.

"Touch her again and I'll break your arm, Tommy," she sneered and there was venom in her voice. Her hair was a wild and stormy sort of brown that pooled at her shoulders, her skin a sunkissed hue that shone and accentuated the blood and bruises on her arms.

Near her on the floor was another girl in tears, her headscarf ripped and muddy, she was sobbing, soft cries falling from her lips. I recognised her, she was from the year below, her name was Haifa I think.

"You think you can break my arm you bitch," Tommy used a word many of us had been forbidden to say, so there was a chorus of 'oohs' as the pathetic bystanders spurred on the fight.

She gave a wicked grin squaring herself up and having a perfect fighting stance as the sun shone on her back, and her eyes glowed a certain gold in the light, she looked ready to kill, "I'll show you just how much of bitch I can be," and without warning, she lunged forward and hit Tommy square in the jaw, he staggered back almost tripping over his own two feet, rage pooling off him, and a sizeable angry red mark painted on his jaw.

He lurched forward ready to inflict just as much damage, but the girl swerved around him, dodging his blow and grabbing his arm, twisting it behind him, he let a guttural cry as she forced him to the ground, and with a satisfied shout she taunted, "Who's the bitch now?"