Captive

Alara

My head throbbed as I slowly opened my eyes just to be met with darkness. An acrid taste like bile rose to my throat as I heaved and coughed. My body felt lethargic and my limbs felt like they were made of stone weighing me down and making it impossible to move. Metal bit at my skin as I tugged on cuffs that had me attached to the wall. I was curled in a corner of dingy room that smelt of mildew and rot. 

With each laboured breath I inhaled more of the putrid smell and it took everything in me not to gag. 

"Help," I rasped my throat hoarse and unable to get the volume I needed. 

All I could remember was going to the town centre with Roan and Haifa, seeing them had brought me so much joy but then there was so many of them, all dressed in black all holding deadly silver pistols that were one shot away from killing me and my friends. 

They grabbed me from behind pressing a gun to my head as I shrieked the last thing I could remember crying out was "Find Cameron," to Haifa who had a gun aimed straight at her when she started to rush towards me. Roan tried to fight them off but there was too many and then suddenly I couldn't breath anymore, my face was smothered with a dirty rag that closed off my airways and then I was here. 

I pulled at the restraints, the cool metal digging at my skin and leaving red marks beneath them.

"Help, " I tried again to scream but all that came out was a pained whisper. Hot tears began to well in my eyes as I realised how hopeless everything was. 

My heart hammered loudly as I felt ringing in my ears and all I wanted to do was throw up. My stomach churned with worry and my head felt light. 

Abruptly, there was a loud sound of the door crashing against a wall. I heard thundering footsteps approaching me, and then the door to my cell was swung open the bars clattering against each other as they were pulled apart. 

I was met with a severe looking man who had the deadest eyes I had ever seen, no emotion at all and verging on black. His face was pale and pinched with a sour look. He was lanky and thin, incredibly thin like he was a complete ghost. He wore a black t-shirt and matching black jeans that had tears at the knees. He looked more like a college student than what I assume was a gang member. 

He sneered at me as he kicked over a metal tray, "Eat," he commanded. 

I shook my head, "I'm not stupid you could've poisoned that,"

In response he pulled out his gun from the back of his trousers, and pointed it straight at me, "If I wanted you dead I would pull the fucking trigger," his voice was full of malice as my eyes widened at his threat, "Now eat."

Not wanting to aggravate him further with what little mobility I had with my hands cuffed and in chains I picked up the metal tray. On it was a brown sloppy liquid that I assume was some sort of stew, it had gobbets of meat floating in it and a single boiled potato, on the side was hunk of stale bread. Very aware of the gun still pointed at me, I tore off a bit of bread and dipped it in the unappetising stew. Once it was soaked a little, I pushed it into my mouth and forced myself to swallow. It tasted awful but by the look on my captors face if I didn't lick the plate clean he would shoot me in the head. 

Painfully slow, I downed the rest of the disgusting food, gulping down the last bite and forcing my stomach to settle so I didn't hurl everything I had eaten at his feet. 

When he had checked that I had eaten everything he tossed me a half empty water bottle, I opened it and pressed it to my parched lips, the liquid was lukewarm but I wouldn't dare complain. The water was refreshing despite it's temperature as I felt I hadn't drank in days. 

"Why am I here?" I asked my voice barely audible but he didn't respond he just glared at me. He began edging closer and I pressed my back against the wall getting as far away as possible, he only picked up the tray and then left me alone once more.

What felt like hours past before anyone came to check on me. It was the same sallow faced man but this time he brought more people with him. There was a much taller man with tan brown skin and steely blue eyes, his gaze was sharp and domineering. 

"So this is the pretty thing Grayson has got his hands on," his was laced with arrogance and his grin held a promise of even more malice.

I glared at him, a fire in my eyes as I willed everything in me not to react any further than that, "Why am I here?" I all but spat leaving my plan to not react behind. 

"Oh she has a fire in her," he crouched down and grasped my chin in strong sturdy fingers, pulling me forward and so close to him that I could feel his hot breath on my face. His fingers dug into my skin and would definitely leave bruises. I gritted my teeth fighting the urge to spit in his face, "It's going to be so fun breaking you,"

He let go of my face and I felt the remnants of his grasp burnt against my face. I was sure I was flushed red with anger and partial embarrassment. 

"Why am I here? Who are you?" I tried to school my voice lessen the tight tone and soften it slightly hoping against hope it would give me some answers. 

"To get Grayson of course, I wonder what he will do when he finds out we have his bride,"

I laughed out loud causing sallow face and arrogant to glare at me, "You think he cares about me? He doesn't give a shit," the words felt forced coming out of my mouth. Part of me didn't want to believe it was true after everything we had shared I didn't know if it was. 

It was my captors turn to laugh, "Oh my darling," I hated that he called me that it reminded me too much of Cameron's deep sultry voice the way he had a stupid grin every time he said it," you really expect me to believe that. Your words exactly where 'Find Cameron'"

I struggled to find an explanation for my words, "I was stupid to say that. It was all I could think of but just because I wanted his help doesn't mean that he cares. If he did I wouldn't be here,"

I continued, "You seem to know him better than I do, has he ever cared for anyone?" I gave a pointed look waiting for their inevitable response. 

"In that case you're no use to us," he lifted his gun and out of pure instinct I closed my eyes my breath stalling in the back of my throat as I waited for the bullet to hit me. There was a deafening bang and I heard the bullet but it never met its target.

My eyes flew open, to see a dent in the wall right next my ear, I could still feel the heat from the bullet, near my ear, my heart almost stopped. 

"Good you're scared, you should be," I still had no idea who this guy was but I knew not to mess with him. 

"You may not think he cares but even if he doesn't kidnapping you is a direct attack on him," with another unnerving smirk, "You're basically his property,"

I gritted my teeth at the statement, "I don't belong to anyone,"

He stalked closer his gun still hanging loosely in his hand, he crouched once again in front of me and grasped my hair in his hand pulling it roughly and exposing my neck giving him access to press his still smoking gun against it the heat burnt my skin and I hissed in pain. Feeling my skin singe against the hot metal. 

"That's where you're wrong, love. You belong to me."