Contingency

Alara

"I still don't like the idea of you going on your own," Cameron admitted as he watched me get ready for my appointment. 

"He'll know if you're there, and that would put everything in jeopardy. We have no idea what he will do if he finds out you know," he still gave me a defeated look and all I could think of doing was walking up to him and clasping his hands in mine. 

He looked down at the action a small smile breaking free of the gloom that had transcended his face, "You be safe ok?"

"Always," I replied lightly squeezing his hand to emphasise my point.

"Now we both know that isn't true, you have a quite the track record of getting yourself in trouble," he gave me a pointed look accentuated by the raising of his brow. 

I leaned forward a little, gazing deeply into the forest of his eyes, "As someone I know said, I can be very," I paused a trickle of laughter escaping my lips, "very hard to deal with," In response to me mimicking some of the first words he had ever spoken to me he smirked wildly, a flash of mirth in those evergreen eyes. 

"Always were a copy cat."

"Be careful," I whispered, "I might just scratch your eyes out,"

"What a wonderful image," he drawled before pulling me into his arms, "Be careful though, promise me that."

I fought the urge to roll my eyes completely enamoured with the way he cared so much. It was the antithesis of who I was expecting him to be. I thought he would be cold, dismissive just as ruthless as the world painted him out to be. But here he had a sharp look on his face that was true concern, he cared. He cared about me and that made something stir deep within me. He brought out something in me that I couldn't really explain. Something I couldn't truly admit, not now anyways. 

After engulfing me in a tight hug, I finally broke free, with a small smile on my face I said, "Well, I guess I'll be off,"

His touch lingered against my arm sending a wave of goosebumbs down its path, "If you're not back here by 5 and I mean 5 exactly, not a second more, I'm coming to get you and my father will have hell to pay,"

"I'll be fine," I whispered back to try and reassure him, "And I'm not going their unarmed," I revealed the gun tucked away in my purse. 

"Wouldn't have expected anything else," he gave me a nod of approval one which I graciously expected.

I also pulled up the hem of my jeans, to reveal a dagger buried beneath the fabric of my sock, "Just encase me and my gun get separated."

Before I could stop myself, I pressed a hastened kiss against his cheek and rushed out the door before he could reply. 

As soon as I got into the confines of my car, I let out a breath, watching as Cameron's figure became smaller and smaller as I drove off towards Hours clinic. 

The air was cool against my face, as I leisurely drove, part of me knew I was taking my damn time because I didn't want to go to this appointment. I was still trying to wrap my head around it all, knowing that the Blood Diamond has quite literally become the bane of my existence. It could very well lead to my downfall. 

There were too many people after it, and I didn't know much about it, just that the owner would be given insurmountable power. But how?

I wasn't one to believe in magic outside the realms of fiction, no, I thought the more reasonable explanation would be that the power came from people's want to possess it. By having it to yourself, you would be able to control those who would do anything to have it in their clutches.