Chapter 29: Another Feminine Face

Start from the beginning

"Do you ever get lonely during the day?" she asked. "I find that the day seems to drag on and on. I tend to talk to myself until Taylor comes inside. I love the days when we go to Noah's."

"Yes," I said. "It does tend to get a little annoying."

"Well, it's what? Less than two years until Tommy gets his girl? Just be happy that they were born close together. I could not imagine how long the days must have been for Lindsay. She at least had Jenny though. You'll love both of them. They're like a mother and sister that I never had."

I smiled. I had not put much thought into what it would be like when Tommy got his wife. It would be nice to have somebody in the house during the day with me, but would I have to mentor her in some way?

I was already sorry for Tommy's girl. She would be protected from the outside world, but she would be stuck with Tommy. I cringed to think of the way he touched me, and what he may do to his girl.

Jimmy and Taylor came back into the kitchen. Jimmy put his arm around my waist, and Taylor put his hand on Emme's shoulder. She gulped down the rest of the water.

"Is dinner ready yet?" Taylor asked.

"It'll be done in a couple of minutes," she said. "I'm sorry. I wasn't sure when they'd be here, so I did not know when to put it in the oven."

"Okay. Jimmy and I will be outside for a bit."

"I'll try to keep it warm."

Taylor leaned in and kissed her. Jimmy kissed my cheek and patted my hip before letting me go.

Emme opened up the oven to check on the food inside. She cradled her belly as she bent down to see. It must be difficult to do all of this work at that size.

"Can I help you with anything?" I asked.

"The plates are in that cupboard over there and the cutlery is in the drawer, if you want," she said. "It's always nice to have a bit of help. Noah and Jenny come over a lot for dinner. I always love having another girl's help in the kitchen."

"Yeah, that must be nice," I said as I took the plates out of the cupboard.

I walked over to the dining room and began placing the plates down around the table. The only thing separating the two rooms was a counter and a glass cupboard full of mugs. Emme leaned forward, with her elbows on the counter, so that she could see me as she spoke.

"It sucks that you don't have Marilyn," she said. "You're alone in the house all day."

"Marilyn?" I asked, setting down the last plate.

"Yeah, Charles' wife," she said. "I guess they don't talk about her too much. People deal with that kind of thing differently, you know?"

"Yeah."

I walked back into the kitchen and went to the drawer that she had pointed to earlier. I pulled out a handful of knives and forks and brought them over to the table.

"What did you do before you got here?" she asked. "And I don't mean like the car ride over. I mean before Charles brought you home."

I did not know what I was supposed to say to Emme. Jimmy never told me what to say. I did not want to start saying a bunch of stuff that he was trying to hide. I did not want him to be embarrassed by me.

"Don't be afraid," Emme said. It was like she was reading my mind. "This is just girl talk. I won't tell Taylor any of it. You can't tell Jimmy either though."

"Sounds good." I looked up to flash her a smile. "I was a stripper."

"Really?" she asked. "I can't see you as one. You seem so shy. Well, so shy to me, but that does not mean too much. People think that I talk too much, but I don't think so. I wasn't always this way though."

"Why are you now?" I asked.

I looked over at Emme to see her twirling one of her curls around her finger. She shrugged her shoulders.

"People would say that I fried my brain," she said, "but I don't believe so."

"Fried it?" I arched an eyebrow. "What? Were you sitting in the sun too long?"

She started to laugh and I giggled along with her.

"It's a brain, not an egg," she said. "I used to like to go out and have a lot of fun. I drank quite a bit, but that is not what they were talking about. I was taking every drug that I could get my hand on. I mostly did LSD, and that is what destroyed me. My parents even forced me to go to the hospital when they heard me talking to the voices."

"The voices?" I asked her, not trying to sound too shocked.

"You've never heard any?" she asked. "They forced me into the hospital and wanted to lock me away forever. When I got released, I ran away from my parents. A couple of days later Noah found me and brought me into the family. Taylor cares for me and does not care about the voices. Now, that is what love is."

The door opened, and Emme stepped back to pull the roast out of the oven. I finished putting the cutlery on the table.

They sat down and we began to eat.