Protect You

I was nervous to stand on my foot after being in a brace for so long. I'd been relying on the pain medicine for some time so not having either was going to be an adjustment. I'd gotten used to the medication numbing the pain enough for me to use my foot again as well as the brace to make me feel stable. Without them, I struggled to be sure I was able to walk without something happening again.

Christian didn't mention anything about me leaving beyond what he'd said to me in the infirmary. He didn't even glance at the front doors beyond the foyer when we headed up the steps. It was clear that he wasn't going to let me leave. He wasn't going to even let me entertain the idea of it.

Begrudgingly, I didn't complain. I didn't have a plan to get out of there again. I was still so confused about how Christian even found me that I couldn't think of anything beyond that. He was being so vague with me that it was nearly making my head hurt just to try thinking about it.

He'd brought me a change of clothes for when, or if, I woke up so I didn't have to walk the halls in a hospital gown. I didn't really want a mansion full of people to see my ass.

Christian's room was just as I'd left it though maybe a little cleaner. A tinge of guilt washed over me at the thought of Madison. I'd just left without saying anything to her.

I couldn't risk her saying anything to Christian. If I had known that he would find out regardless, I would have told her just to say goodbye. I didn't want her to think that I was mad at her or that I didn't care about her.

She was the only friend I had in Twisp.

"You don't have to babysit me. Madison is perfectly capable of keeping an eye on me." I rolled my eyes as I spoke. I still didn't like the thought of someone watching me. It creeped me out.

Christian walked to the french doors and opened them. I felt a burst of cold air hit me, even all the way by the door. "Madison doesn't work here anymore."

"What? Why?"

"She failed to mention that you were leaving. Had it not been for my guards, I wouldn't have known until you drove out of Twisp."

I shook my head and walked over to where he was. Even a few feet away, I could feel his body heat. "She didn't know I was leaving. I didn't say anything to her."

"She said you've been mentioning it since you got here. Clearly, she knew something."

His short tone made me mad. He had no right to fire her. She was only doing her job and being a good friend.

I cleared the distance between us and turned him around to face me. "So did you, Christian. I never hid that from you until the day I decided to leave. So don't you dare try to put the blame on her. Hell, maybe you should fire your guards then since they all let me leave without stopping me."

"I told them not to stop you. From the start, I told them that."

My eyes narrowed as my anger built up even more. I shoved him back a few steps. "You're such a fucking hypocrite. Are you like this to everyone in that precious pack of yours?"

He put his hand out in front of him. "Blair, stop."

"No, I won't stop. You know I'm right yet you can't stand to be told that you're wrong. You bent the rules so they'd apply to everyone but you. Look where it's gotten you. Madison's gone, I was attacked by your psychotic brother, and I can't even stand to look at you."

His eyes softened as I told him that. Maybe once it affected him, he would care. But I wasn't going to hold my breath that he would even change. "Blair-"

"Save it. I don't want to hear any more of your lies. I'm done. I'm fucking done." I started off toward the bathroom, knowing it was the only place that I could go where I could lock the door. I didn't have any way to get away from Christian and that thought pissed me off just a little more.

"Blair, please let me explain."

I shut the door and locked it before he could make it to me.

"Blair, the last thing I wanted was for anyone to get hurt. Especially you. You have no idea how much you mean to me."

I stared at the bathroom in front of me. It was nice and spacious. It felt almost too big for a bathroom. There was a wide but narrow window above the bathtub, allowing in some light from outside. All the bath rugs matched and looked to be made out of bamboo or something. They certainly weren't the cheap ones we used at home.

I didn't want to give in and listen to Christian. I didn't want to give him the satisfaction of hearing him out after everything he'd told me up until that point. He was a liar as far as I was concerned.

But maybe I should have listened to him to see what the whole story was. His story. Then I could go back to hating him.

I knew I wouldn't have a problem with that.

"Why?"

"Why what?"

I took a deep breath. "Why am I so important to you?"

He was close to the door when he spoke yet it didn't sound like he was talking very loud. "You're my mate, Blair. I want to make this work. I want to get to know you so we aren't just mates who don't talk."

I sat down on the floor and put my back against the door. "Why were you in High Point? North Carolina's the whole other side of the country. It couldn't have just been a coincidence."

"I got a tip that my brother was close by. I was tracking him when I ran into you."

"Is that why you brought me back here?"

"It was about half that and half me wanting to get you medical help. I felt responsible for injuring you so I wanted to have my father check you out."

Right, he was guilty. I knew that much. "So why didn't you let me leave right away? If you knew he was in High Point, why wouldn't you just go back with me and try looking for him?"

"It wasn't safe."

"Christian, you would have been there-"

"I lied to you. I didn't tell you why you couldn't. Maybe if I had, you would have been more likely to stay."

"What's the truth then?"

He let out a long breath. "Everett killed your aunt. He found out that you're my mate. Someone from my pack gave him that information. He used it to hurt me by hurting you."

My heart sank in my chest. Had I not been sitting on the floor already, I probably would have ended up there.

She was dead? My aunt Ren was just... gone? I didn't want to believe it was the truth. I wanted it to be another lie that Christian was telling me. But I knew he wouldn't have lied about that.

I tried my best to control the tears that filled my eyes. I wanted to scream and cry and throw things. But I didn't want Christian to hear.

"What happened?"

"Blair-"

"What happened?" I repeated.

"I was told that he found her the night I brought you back here. She was driving somewhere and he caused her to wreck her car. She didn't survive."

"Is that why you didn't want me to have my phone?" If I couldn't call, I couldn't find out that she was dead. Or worse, Everett couldn't track me down. Maybe that was for the best, after all.

"Yes."

I crossed my arms over my chest. "You should have told me then."

"I was afraid of how you'd take it. I didn't want you trying to go back there in case-"

"It's a little too late for that. Trying to help only made another bad thing happen. That seems like a trend for you." I didn't want to hurt him but he'd lied to me and kept information from me that was important. It was only fair that he get the same kind of treatment.

"I'm sorry, Blair. I never meant for any of this. I just wanted to protect you."

"Well, you failed."