Gone

I wasn't quite ready to talk to Christian but Madison insisted. She gave me no choice when she told me she was going to talk to Christian and left the room.

The thought of saying anything to him after how we ended things the day before left me feeling uneasy. And I couldn't even get away if I wanted to.

But, thanks to Madison, I'd gotten a bath earlier so at least I didn't stink and my hair was clean. It was hard to feel like myself when I couldn't get a proper shower.

I was propping my ankle up with a pillow when Christian walked in.

He raised a brow at me. "You don't have to start following the rules just because I'm in here."

I sighed and leaned back against the pillows. "I'm trying to cut back on the pills. I don't want to get addicted to them."

"That's smart. But don't try being so tough that you cause yourself more pain."

I nodded. "I won't."

He walked over and started to lean on the bed but he stopped himself and straightened up once more. "Madison told me you wanted to talk to me."

"She wants us to talk. She didn't get my permission to go off and tell you that I want to talk or anything."

"So you don't want to talk to me?"

I looked up at him. "I didn't think you wanted to talk to me after..."

"I crossed a line I shouldn't have. I wanted to give you some space."

"I appreciate that."

"I suppose I should introduce you to more members of the pack before I expect anything to happen between us."

I scrunched my eyebrows together. What did he think would happen once I met his pack? What did meeting the pack involve anyway? He said there would be some sort of... meeting between council members to welcome me into the pack as the Luna. But... was that what he was talking about? "I don't see how that would change my mind. I still want to leave once I'm healed."

"What can I do to convince you to stay?"

I wasn't sure there was anything he could do. I wanted to be back where things were familiar. I had school to go to. I had a job. And my aunt... I couldn't leave her behind.

"My aunt... I need to talk to her. She's probably worried about me. Does she even know what happened to me?"

He sighed and rubbed his jaw. "That's not a good idea."

I narrowed my eyes at him. "Why not? I've been gone for two weeks now and she's probably worried sick about where I am and if I'm okay. What if she thinks I'm dead?"

His eyes met mine and he silently told me what I didn't want to hear. Something that ripped my heart out and stomped on it until it was nothing but a wet spot on the ground. It crushed me. "Blair-"

"Get out."

"I-"

I narrowed my eyes even tighter, hoping that my tears would hold off until he was gone from the room. "I said get out."

He opened his mouth to talk but he thought better and didn't say anything. He nodded once before he left the room. I waited until he had shut the door before I allowed myself to break down.

I couldn't believe Christian hadn't told me sooner. He knew how important she was to me and here he was, withholding information from me. How was I supposed to trust him after this?

I pulled the pillow out from under my ankle and ignored the pain that the action caused. I threw it across the room and turned to my left. I grabbed the bottle of pain meds and dumped several into my hand. I tossed them into my mouth then gulped down the rest of my water.

I wasn't going to give Christian the chance to talk. I didn't want to hear his excuses. There was nothing he could say or do that would make me forgive him. I wasn't going to give him that satisfaction.

Hopefully, he wouldn't come back to try to apologize. Hopefully, I could sleep until morning. 

And then I'd be gone.