Chapter 21: Threats

Start from the beginning

"Jules," he called out. "We both know that you're in here so you might as well come out."

My nose and eyes burned as the tears threatened to erupt. I covered my mouth so that I would not let out a sob.

"Come on, Jules," he said tauntingly.

I listened to him as he moved around the bedroom. My heart pounded when the doorknob jiggled. I scurried away from the door until my back was up against the bathtub. Tommy pounded his fist on the door.

"Jules, open this door," he said. "I know that you're in there."

"Tommy, leave me alone," I said. My voice was wavering.

"Jules, I'm not done with you yet," he said.

"I'm married to Jimmy."

"So? He's not here to protect you right now."

I trembled as I wrapped my arms around myself. I prayed that Jimmy would come into the house and stop this. I did not know how far Tommy was willing to go, but I could see him breaking the door down.

"You're just delaying what we both know is going to happen," Tommy said. "I'm not some pervert in the club you used to dance at. I promise you'll enjoy it."

I squeezed my eyes shut and a tear rolled down my cheek. I had tried to block that club from my mind, but Tommy was no different than those patrons. He just wanted me for my body. Jimmy was the only one who was going to love me for who I am.

Tommy banged his fist against the door again.

"Are you going to open this door?" he asked.

"No," I sobbed.

"You're going to regret this."

I listened as Tommy walked away from the door. I let out a deep breath and some of the tension left my muscles.

I sat on the floor for the rest of the day. I kept myself locked in the bathroom. I was terrified that Tommy would barge into the house and begin to assault me. I stayed curled up in a ball and stared at the locked door.

When another set of steps walked toward the door, my heart pounded in my chest. This could be either good or bad.

There was a light knock on the door. "Julie, are you in there?"

I uncurled myself and ran to the door. I opened the door to see Jimmy standing there in his dirty work clothes. I wrapped my arms around his neck and buried my face in his chest. He rubbed my back as I cried.

"Sweetheart, what's wrong?" he asked.

"Tommy..." was all I could say between my sobs.

Jimmy's body froze.

"He didn't touch you, did he?" he asked.

"No," I said. "I locked myself in the bathroom. He wanted me to come out so that he could hurt me."

"Hey." Jimmy pushed me away from his chest. He cupped my face and leaned down. "I am going to keep you safe. Tommy is never going to touch you. I'm proud of you for staying in the bathroom."

I sucked in a deep breath and hastily wiped the tears off of my face. Jimmy kissed my forehead before grabbing my hand. We walked down the stairs and went into the kitchen. Charles and Tommy were sitting at the table. Tommy was cleaning his pocket knife with the end of his shirt and Charles was drumming his fingers on top of the table. He scowled as we walked into the kitchen.

"Juliet, you better have a good reason why dinner is not made," he said.

"She had to hide in the bathroom," Jimmy said. "Because somebody was threatening to hurt her."