Chapter 21: Threats

Start from the beginning

"Stop your arguing!" he said. "Tommy knows not to touch Juliet again, right?"

"I never touched her," Tommy said.

"You will not touch Juliet," he repeated. "Because if you do there will be severe consequences."

Tommy let out a deep breath. "I won't touch her."

"Can't Julie come outside with us?" Jimmy asked.

"No, she can't," Charles said. "Women don't belong working outside, and you know that. She needs to stay here."

"How about I stay in and finish up?" Jimmy asked. "I can do that and Tommy can help you outside."

Charles let out a huff of breath and pushed his empty bowl away from him.

"I want it to be done right," he said. "Get outside."

Charles stormed over to the door, threw on his jacket, and went out into the backyard. I had lost all of my appetite and pushed my bowl away from me. Jimmy dropped his spoon into the bowl and there was a loud clang. Tommy let out a deep breath and cracked his knuckles.

"You better not touch her," Jimmy said.

"Why would I touch her, Jim?" he asked. "It's not like I think she's pretty."

"That's not what you said in the basement," I said.

I did not realize that the words left my mouth until it was too late.

"You should stop lying, Jules," Tommy said. "It's a bad habit. Jimmy, you should fix that."

Tommy got out of his seat and headed toward the basement. Jimmy opened his mouth to argue, but I put my hand on his arm to stop him. He closed his mouth and turned to face me. I lifted my lips into a smile.

"It's okay," I said.

It was weird being the one to reassure Jimmy, instead of the other way around. I did not want a fight to break out like last night. Charles was not here to stop it, and I did not want Jimmy to get hurt.

Jimmy got out of his chair and stood in front of me. He grabbed my hands and pulled me onto my feet. The basement door slammed shut, and some of the tension left my body. Jimmy cupped the side of my face with one hand and slid the other arm around my waist.

"Listen to me," he said. "I want you to clean up breakfast as fast as you can. I want you to stay upstairs in our room and stay away from Tommy. Do you understand?"

"Yes," I said. "I understand."

"Be good," he said before kissing me.

I watched as Jimmy left to go outside. I collected all of the bowls and washed them as fast as I could. I ran up the stairs and closed the door. I looked around the room, unsure of what to do. I laid down on the bed and curled up into a ball on my side.

My heart was pounding as I listened for a sound. Hours passed before the basement door slammed shut. I got up off the bed and ran over to the door. I pressed my ear against it and listened to Tommy moving around downstairs. The stairs creaked as he walked up the steps. I held onto my breath as I listened to him walk down the hall.

I looked around the room for a place to hide. Tommy would surely tear the room apart to look for me. I turned my head and saw the bathroom.

My precious lock.

I ran into the bathroom and locked the door. I got on my knees in front of the door and clasped my hands in front of my face. I could not stop myself from shaking. The bedroom door opened and I squeezed my eyes shut.