19 | Reunion

There are days I feel lost, I feel a huge burden placed on my shoulders like the weight of the world is hanging on it, propelling me to crumble into pieces, and when it finally does, I'm left bereft, isolated, to gather up the shattered pieces of myself even if it takes eternity. I watch the smiles, laughter, and love mingle in the eyes and lips of the people around me, none sparing me a glance as I crawl on the bare, cold gravelled ground assembling up the portions of myself. Heart aching, yearning for affection but got none, hate prowling its way into my heart, vengeance fueling the animosity to birth a living human yet lifeless on the inside.

It's unacceptable! Why do I have to shoulder the burden of her mistakes? It's all Alora's fault yet partly mine to be brought into this vile world. The pain stung so bad I would give anything to rip out the heart in me. I no longer feel the subtle beatings of my heart, all I hear is the deafening silence that punctures my ear. Like an outcast, I wandered aimlessly in search of shelter but was chased away by their scornful glare and snickers.

I had a caring aunt, but now she's decaying away, ensnared underground, I can do nothing but watch as the dirt takes back what was rightfully it. I had... a friend, but now she's bound to death, the gift of life forcefully plundered away from the tip of her fingers. I had a sister... who is no more, I watched her breathe her last and couldn't do a thing. I deserved to be tortured for all eternity for the grief and shattered dreams I stole from the people I loved most.

Michelle, Aspen, Abby, and Ruby, I make a vow today on my life, I will make those that hurt you pay a thousand folds for their crime, I will be deprived of my peace until justice is served. My very hands will drip with their blood when I'm done. That, I promise.

With my head laying low and a cap shielding my face, I ambled through the sidewalk, in a haste to get home. The fear of being recognised by the strangers that brush past me creeps into my skin, irking my resolve. I broke into a jog in an attempt to be hidden away from the sight of their suspicious glares.

All my attempts to stay hidden crumble to the ground as a blonde lady bumps against my shoulder and doffs the cap off my hair. A gasp escaped her lips as she recognised the person staring back at her.

"A-aren't you the girl on the news..." her lips stay ajar, the thought of her statement registers in her mind. "I-I'm so sorry, p-please don't kill me, I swear I won't report a thing to the police!" Her lips quivered, moisture forming in her forest green eyes as she kowtowed and hastily ran. I stood rooted to the spot, "Ha! A false report and I'm forever labelled as a murderer."

I plucked my cap off the ground, grazing the dust particles affixed to it, and placed it back on my hair.

The sound of sirens from a distant alley wafted through my ear, "She informed the cops." I resumed my jogging at full speed not sparing a glance at the bystanders' whispers and horrid glares shot at me. I arrived at the porch of my house as I hurriedly sauntered in, latching the door behind me.

"I've been waiting for you." A voice came from behind, I swirled, a shriek eluding my lips at the person I saw. "Ahh!"

Dishevelled clothing, pale cheeks, bags lying beneath her red pair of eyes, dark curly hair that didn't seem to have been washed for days.

"Mom?" I muttered drawing nearer to her. As much as I have come to hate her, I couldn't stop my trembling legs from running to her, enfolding her into my arms as I sobbed-the last thing I expected I still had the ability to do, I thought I had dried up all tears left in me but seeing her in person once again, replenished it back as it silently flowed down my cheeks leaving a trail down my neck.