12 | Checkmate

I squinted as a ray of light sneaked through the curtains, piercing my eyes. I groaned and shielded my innocent eyes with the back of my hands, "Can someone shut that curtain properly."

"You do sleep like a pig, don't you?"

"Huh?" I snapped back into reality upon hearing a familiar raspy voice.

I sat up and met a pair of molten brown eyes awake and alert. My heart thudded in my chest for a split second.

"Good morning, how long have you been awake?" I asked, trying to calm my racing heart.

"At last, the sleeping beauty awakes from her deep slumber. Good morning, my princess, how may I serve you." Another voice drew our attention as a silhouette figure walked out of the bathroom with a towel around her body. Ruby! I rolled my eyes.

"Seriously?"

She chuckled softly, "Sorry, just wanted to try that. Oops, did I interrupt you guys? Go on, just pretend I'm not here." She winked and hastily yanked her clothes from the bed, scurrying back into the bathroom.

I soothed my temple, Ugh, this girl!

"Hm... I guess since 5:30 AM."

"Who the hell wakes up that early." I grimaced.

Putting one hand on his chin in a gesture of fake contemplation, he responded. "People who got work to do."

I bit down on my lower lips, "If you're implying I'm a slouch, then I'll gladly admit that. Since you're so good at putting a label to everything." I hopped out of the bed, slid my feet into my slippers and stepped into the washroom.

He let out a sigh and pinched the bridge of his nose, "I ain't calling you a slouch, silly. Why do you always misinterpret my words."

"Oh honey, I had no idea you had a date." I spotted Ruby at the mirror stand, touching up her face with a little makeup. She wore a turtle neck bodycon mini dress with a pearl necklace gracing her neck.

"So who's the unlucky guy?" I asked.

"Haha real funny, Vivian. We're heading to the grocery store. Go clean up. Also... dress pretty."

"TF! Grocery store? You're dressed like you're going to a freaking club! You ain't fooling me."

"We've gotta look charming, who knows, we might bump into some hottie on our way there."

"Ugh, whatever. Knock yourself out, honey... I ain't putting that on by the way."

"Fine! Just put on your usual rags." She added the finishing touch by applying a strawberry-flavoured glossy lipstick.

"Meet me at the reception."

"You look hideous by the way."

"Thanks, sweetheart, I couldn't care less." She stepped out. "Uhm... Vivian, it seems your boyfriend went on an outing alone. Did you two quarrel this morning?"

"Ugh, just get the fuck outta here, would ya." I sighed.

"Bitch!"

"Heard that!"

"Not my business."

Weird... he never informed me he was heading anywhere, not like I cared.

"Aw... would you look at that. She took my advice and dolled herself up!" Ruby chuckled.

I wore a black crop velvet wrap top with a three-quarter stretchable pencil skirt. "Shut the hell up, I don't take advice from you." I hissed.