14 | A Friend

"You okay?" His deep baritone voice drifted through my ear sending a chill across my skin and warmth throughout my core. I looked up for a split second to meet his gaze, and then before I could respond, he stood up abruptly and scooted closer to my side.

"What's wrong?" His voice was sharp with concern as he scrutinized me from head to toe for any sign of something amiss.

Hesitating, I shook my head. "N-not really..."

I couldn't bring myself to show him the message. At least not yet... until I could fully trust him.

"If you say so." He pulled me in, enveloping me in his arms, one hand cradling the back of my head and the other rubbing soothing circles into my back. Silence reigned between us for a moment before he spoke, soft and gentle, "You know you can share anything with me. I'll be here for as long as you need me." My heart thumped as my eyes snapped to his face, a wide smile pulled across his lips and for a moment, the world stood still.

No people were buzzing around us, all the clatter and noise seemed to have tuned down.

Maybe he's not so bad after all.

I stifled a nervous laugh and tucked my hands in my laps to keep from fidgeting awkwardly. "Y-yeah, I'll keep that in mind."

"I-" His phone buzzed in his pocket interrupting what he was about to say. He pulled it out and shifted his gaze on me silently apologizing for the sudden interruption, I nodded signalling him to go ahead.

"I'll be right back." He quickly mouthed before rushing out.

Damn it! Just when he was about to... Nah I'm just getting way ahead of myself.

I kneaded the bridge of my nose, trying to compose my thoughts back together until a sturdy voice lured my attention. I raised my head and met a pair of squinting hazel eyes staring right back at me.

"Sorry, I was wondering if you had an extra heart. Mine was just stolen." A smile pulled up across his face, showcasing his white sets of teeth. An earthy scent swirled around him.

Why'd I feel like I wanna puke? Oh yeah, I must really find you disgusting. I resisted the impulse to blurt that out to his ridiculously attractive yet irritating face.

"..." I stayed silent. Nothing pleasant will come out from this mouth of mine, so the best reply he could get at the moment was my silence.

His hand combed through his medium ash brown scruffy fohawk as a smirk swayed beneath his lips.

"Fine... I guess I didn't start off on the right note. I'm Tyler Harrison and you are?" He stretched forth his hands across the table in anticipation to get a hold of mine. Too bad I wouldn't let that happen.

I shut my eyelids and relaxed back on the seat.

I have more pressing matters to deal with than to entertain a random guy with some cheesy pickup lines. Didn't know they still use that.

He sighed in defeat and retracted his hands. "You don't talk, do you?"

"I do, just not to you." I decided to reply in the kindest way I could.

I could still feel his gaze on me, which made me slightly uneasy. Thankfully, he took the whiff and retreated to his seat. I slightly opened my eyes to take a quick peek at where he was headed.

"Some pickup line Huhn." A chuckle played in my ear, snapping me back to the hefty figure seated in front of me, only one person had such an irritating tone... Sebastian! He peered at me with a smirk threatening to reveal itself.