6 | The Experiment

"Stop frightening her Sebastian, you know I pushed her to do so," Adira abruptly materialized in front of me, shielding me from his wrath.

"Y-yeah... Yeah, you can't hurt me for that. You know she made me do it." I butted in to save my dear life.

"P-please, just stop all this. You're all I have... He's gone and he's never coming back. Can't you just accept it and move on?" His voice broke as his sword slid down his hand and settled on the ground.

Phew, my life is saved,

I heaved a sigh of relief.

But what's he talking about? Who's gone? I wanna ask, but I don't wanna interrupt. It seems like they're having a couple moment, another melodrama is about to unfold.

"No, I-I can't let his death be in vain, Sebastian. I will find his killer and get revenge no matter the cost." She fastened her fist as tears blurred her eyes.

"Even at the expense of your own life?"

"Yes. No. Matter. The. Cost." She firmly said.

He stepped towards her and buried his face in her shoulders as tears escaped his eyes. "Please, mom, I already lost dad, I-I can't lose you too." He mumbled, but it was still audible enough for me to grab what he said.

OMG, Are you kidding me? T-that's his mother? I never expected that.

"Ok, that's enough already. Seems like y'all forgot I got a home to go to? And you still owe me an explanation."

"Yeah, yeah, I'm still gonna explain it all to you. Just give me a minute." She sniffed and wiped off her tears.

"You sure you can still do this, Adira?" Sebastian laid her against a wall.

"Yeah, I can. You just go home. I can deal with everything from here on."

"Alright, I won't argue," he enveloped her in his broad shoulders once more before he rose. "Love you, honey."

"Love you too, mom," he planted a kiss on her head before he turned around and left.

The scene before me took my breath away and also left me speechless. I couldn't help but think, How I wish I had a mom to tell me that. I was lost in my thoughts until Adira's voice reached my ears, and I suddenly snapped back into reality.

"Are you ok?" She asked, which kinda stunned me. She seemed different from the playful, aggressive woman I had met earlier on.

"Yeah, I'm good, sorry about your eyes. I didn't mean to hurt you to that extent." A glint of guilt clouded my eyes. "No worries honey, I had it coming anyway, ok back to business. Before I start, I want to make sure you're fully ready to hear the whole truth?"

"Well, duh, why did I agree to meet up with you in the first place." I rolled my eyes at her absurd question.

"On second thought, I change my mind."

"Are you outta ya mind old hag? Why the sudden change of mind? After all the things you've done to me." My brows tangled in anger as I blasted my fist against the concrete wall out of frustration. "You almost murdered me. And you just get to decide when the deal's off? Oh, no. I ain't some kid you go messing around with. Yeah just cause I can't beat you, doesn't mean you could treat me as a child."

"Woah. Cool off sweetheart, I was just joking. Did you have to go all out on me like that? Your words are pretty fierce for a girl at your age. Didn't your mama ever teach you to respect your elders?" She folded her arms and stared at me expecting a response.

My lips parted, but no words came out.
Her statement felt like a thorn thrown directly into my heart, that it felt like my heart started to bleed.

Ok, that's it. I gritted my teeth and pulled her to her feet, almost tearing her collar... I heard the slight rasp of material ripping.

"Tell. Me. What. You. Know." I scowled at her while looking her dead in the eyes as anger surged through my veins.

"Oh honey, you don't expect me to tell you the truth just like that? You have to give something in order to get something," Adira said as the corner of her lips curved up into a smirk. "Then tell me what you want."

"Your heart." She responded, without hesitation.

I gasped as shock and fear engulfed my body.

"Just kidding, I'll tell you all I know. Many years ago, an organization conducted an experiment. They claimed the experiment would bring about the next generation of humans. A formula that would wipe all illnesses, viruses, and disabilities out of the system and also grant human special abilities. Millions of people volunteered for the experiment but only a few thousand were chosen.

They locked those few thousands in a large spacious room and exposed them to a gas of unknown substance. When the gas got into their system, they all choked to death but only one person survived, it was a little girl named Aurora. Your blood was announced to be the cure for all human diseases. Your blood, when injected into another person's body would not only get rid of any diseases but also grant them special abilities like abnormal strength, extended lifespan, red eyes and red hair, which most people consider astounding, unlike someone who wanted to rip hers out. But there was one defect in their experiment.

Those who inhaled the gas would later end up losing their minds and going berserk. How can that happen? Excessive rage. Any emotions that put one on edge should be controlled or else the results would be disastrous. When one goes berserk and isn't tamed quickly, the person goes ka-boom! Blows up."

~~~

I just want to use this opportunity to thank all those who took their time to support me until now. It means a lot to me!

Keep on your votes and comments🖤
Love y'all~(^з^)-♡