Chapter 17: Something Feels Wrong

Prince Xiao Zhan didn't like the trace of sweat that ghosted on his forehead and his heart that suddenly took rattling beats beneath his chest and instantly, his fingers stopped playing on the zither and his eyes snapped ahead.

Queen Yang nearly recoiled at the hasty stop of the amicable music and she looked at the omega prince. "Is there something wrong, Xiao Zhan?"

Xiao Zhan remained serene, something was wrong but he couldn't place his hand on it. "I want an audience with the King," He suddenly enunciated, putting the zither away and standing up, Queen Yang also following his steps.

"Tell me, dear, is there something wrong, did you get a vision?" She marveled, thinking back to the time she was told the Omega prince could discern the future.

Xiao Zhan shook his head. "No, I didn't get a vision. I will go speak with the King," He was already gone before the second queen could poll further as he trotted towards the palace foyer.

"Xiao Zhan!" The queen rasped, going after him and she was able to catch up with him as he hoisted in through the main doors of the throne room, infringing on the ongoing meeting between the King and his council members and they gasped in alarm at the sudden intrusion.

Xiao Zhan dismissed their gazes and paused in front of the king and curtsy respectfully with the Queen standing beside him. "I apologize for my character, Your Majesty. I have an urgent matter,"

The king's intense gaze flickered between his second consort and his third son's consort. "Pray tell,"

"I wish to go to the southern borders," Came the unwavering request, and murmurs broke out in the hall as the courtiers spoke among themselves.

"I believe there must be a reason why you wish to go there, especially at a time like this. Do you miss your Alpha?" The King queried, a look of amusement in his eyes. "Or, did you perhaps see something?"

"I didn't but my instincts tell he's in danger and requires my presence," the more he stood there, the more Xiao Zhan felt nervier. "I must leave at once, Your Majesty,"

The King peered in astonishment while the whispers of his council didn't fail to penetrate his ears. He rested his elbow on his throne hand and finger to his chin while his gaze didn't avert from the Omega. It had been a week since the three princes left and so far, their letters had been promising but this Omega sensed otherwise. Was he meant to change Wang Yibo's fate? "Very well then, you will leave at once with the guards,"

Xiao Zhan ducked his head. "I have another request, your majesty. I would like Prince Chaoxiang to accompany me,"

The King nodded. "Very well,"

*~*

Wang Yibo grunted at the severe pain while fastening a piece of white cloth around his rib and concealing the deep wound in a bandage.

Fucking bastards had gotten lucky and got close enough to stab him on the battlefield.

Tying the knot, he stood up, picking his jacket from his bed, at the same time a voice came from outside the tent.

"Your Highness, the general awaits you,"

"I will be there in a few minutes," He replied, holding back the grunt, and slipped his hands into his coat and buttoned it up.

Brushing his fingers into his hair, he stepped out of the tent into the cold night.

In front of him were more tents of the troops. He passed them, heading towards a particular one, and slipped in, where the troop general awaited with a few other important soldiers standing around a round table at the middle of the tent, he went to stand beside Haoxuan.