Chapter 16: What is Love?

Arriving at the front of his chamber door, Wang Yibo met the fourth prince pacing.

"Chaoxiang, what brings you here?"

The fourth prince gleamed, revealing two dimples at the side. "Brother, I came to meet you,"

The fourth prince of Dawnton was an extraordinary one. Being a beta male, he was rather scrawny and gave off the vibes of an Omega, which made him come off as weak and those glasses at the tip of his nose wasn't helping his reputation. His lack of physical strength made him a not-so-better candidate for the throne.

"Is there something wrong?" Wang Yibo inquired, he rarely saw the kid around, he could count the number of times he had seen the lad and whenever he did see him, it was when he was waddling past the palace library.

"I wish to come along," He went straight to the point and Wang Yibo raised an eyebrow. "Tyler or Zuriel won't want me anywhere near them, so you are the best choice, please don't say no,"

"Well no, you can't come along," Wang Yibo dismissed the idea.

"Why, is it because you also think I'm fragile and can't take care of myself, do you think I will be a weight on you?"

Wang Yibo hissed and stepped forward, placing his hand on the lad's shoulder. "You can't come along because it's too dangerous, even am frightened but Father is sending me there. If there's a chance, I will take it immediately, so dear little brother, I will advise you against it, if Tyler, Zuriel, and I do not make it, we need someone to take over from Father,"

Chaoxiang pouted. "But that's unjust, even if neither of you returns, Father still won't pass the throne to me and I don't want it either. I'm tired of being the weak one, I might not be able to hold a weapon but I'm quite knowledgeable, and believe me, you might require my brains. Knowledge is power,"

"Which makes you the perfect candidate for the throne, I don't know what Father sees in Tyler, Zuriel, and I, it's rather sad but I need you to be there, so I can't risk it," Wang Yibo beamed and pushed his chamber door open.

"But Wang Yibo-"

Again he swerved. "Do you know someone told me I'm going to die soon, so I don't think you should tag along with me and don't go to Tyler or Zuriel, I don't think their fate is any different from mine," He ruffled the lad's hair and slammed the door shut before he could protest.

"Knowledge isn't power until it's applied. He only wished to find himself and I never mentioned you are going to die soon Wang Yibo, I said you might die soon, there's a difference,"

Wang Yibo laughed. "Is there. You had me preparing for my fate, I only want to spend time with you before death arrives at my door," he joined Xiao Zhan on the bed, "I will be gone for a while, depends on how long it lasts, I trust you can manage on your own?"

"I want to come along,"

"No!" Wang Yibo instantly declined. "You overheard my conversation with Chaoxiang, I won't take him along and I certainly won't take you with me,"

Xiao Zhan looked away. "Fine then, make sure to come back alive," He replied, keeping his gaze away till a finger went under his chin and his head was reeled back and he found Wang Yibo close to his face, almost breathing down on him, he blinked a couple of times, an unknown heat rising in his stomach and his hands on his thighs clung his skirt.

"Will you be good for me, Omega?"

Xiao Zhan nodded and Wang Yibo smiled.

"That's good," He moved forward and kissed his forehead, and withdrew, standing to his feet. "I leave at sunset tomorrow. Don't miss me too much," he asserted, even though it would be the other way round.

*~*

The next day arrived too quickly as the three princes set out to leave in their armor. While his brothers sprinted towards their horses, Wang Yibo dragged his feet on the ground, resulting in whispers from the servants and other council members, gossiping among themselves about how he wasn't going to make it back alive, Wang Yibo tsked at the lack of faith his people had in him, he won't blame them though.

"Mother!" He whined, approaching his mother with open arms and enclasped her.

Queen Yang giggled and patted her son on the back. "Is my little tiger scared?" She teased and he nodded against her shoulder. "Oh, poor thing. Don't worry, Mother is going to make your favorite dish when you return,"

Wang Yibo pulled back and smiled. "That's something to keep me going and looking forward to,"

"Take care," She beamed and he nodded and headed towards his horse, planning on getting on till an angelic voice called his name, Wang Yibo's smile got wider as Xiao Zhan approached him with Jiyang at his back.

"You already miss me?" Came the cheeky question.

Xiao Zhan strode closer, circling his arms on Wang Yibo's torso and resting his head on his chest while Wang Yibo's hands went to brush his back. "Be careful," He uttered. "I will miss you,"

Wang Yibo felt warmth grow in his chest. Was this how love felt like? "I will be back, I promise,"

*~*

In a twinkle of an eye, three days had already passed but for Xiao Zhan, it felt like a century. Just a few weeks of living with Wang Yibo, one could say he had grown attached. Xiao Zhan slammed his book shut, losing the will to continue reading even though he was just staring at a particular word for hours.

He turned to Jiyang, stitching a pattern of embroidery on a scarf. He gawked at the Omega focused on his work. "What do you think about love, Jiyang?" Came the unexpected question and Jiyang paused on his work, veering at the prince.

"Love?" Jiyang tested the word on his tongue. "I think love is not simple as it seems, it's complicated," He answered after a pause.

Xiao Zhan tilted his head, curious. "Why do you think that?"

Jiyang sighed. "My Grandma always says, if someone really loves you, they will always make effort to be part of your life but that's not how I see it. Sometimes, loving means letting go, not because you don't love the person but letting go because the timing isn't right," He paused and Xiao Zhan gave him a skeptical glance.

"Tell me more,"

Jiyang frowned, wondering why the prince was suddenly so inquisitive. He continued anything. "Sometimes, holding on is just selfish if you love the person, you will want what's best for them if you can't provide what they need due to circumstances, you let them go so they can live the life they deserve even if it breaks your heart,"

"Is that why you let go?"

In an instant, Jiyang's eyes locked with Xiao Zhan and his breath hitched, as if caught.

"I-i-I...I try to teach my heart not to want things I can't have," came the stuttering reply. Jiyang looked away, feeling his heart clenching the more he thought about it.

"Love isn't complicated, people are," Xiao Zhan approached Jiyang, placing a comforting hand on the omega's shoulder and locking eyes again. "It doesn't always have to be what they want. If you surrender to the wind, you can ride it"

Jiyang sighed. "I'm scared,"

"It's okay to be scared but don't let that fear overpower your mind, don't let it control you. Cherish every moment, Jiyang, the future is uncertain, it doesn't always end the way we want,"

To be continued...!

*~*

Hello my faithful readers, how are you all doing today?

Great right?

Anyway...

What is Love to You?

Leave your answers!

See you later!