Butterfly

Closing the curtains, I leave a small glimpse open making the room less of a pitch-black space. Ever since I ran in the forest, I've been having these stupid nightmares, and waking up not able to see where I am is not helping the situation. I am honestly surprised that I am getting them. Being hunted isn't something new for me, but I guess the suddenly getting caught in a trap part and how everything went down made my brain more cautious of everything that have happened though my life.

I change into an oversized t-shirt and lay down in bed, wrapping myself tight into the duvet. 'I would enjoy making you mine.' Scott's words once again linger in my head. Could I even let him if I wanted to? What if it's just a trick to make me fall for them. A cruel trick to make me reveal details about me and my father. Although, for some unknowingly reason, they haven't mentioned it since the day I was imprisoned. Which is odd, considering that's why they kidnaped me.

With all sorts of thoughts filling my mind, I drift off to sleep.

-

'Stay right here and do not come out until I tell you to. Just like we practiced. Can you do so for me butterfly?' My father, crouched on his knees in front of me, gives me a soft smile. 'Okay dad'. He pats my head and closes the closet doors in front of me.

Lights flashes though the small opening underneath and above the doors. Loud sounds of gunshots echo through the room. I tighten my grip around my teddy, covering my mouth so I know no one can hear me. All I have to do is stay hidden and be quiet. I can do that. I can help father.

After sitting here for what feels like years, everything turns quiet and the little light from the room turns black. 'Dad?' I whisper. No response. I want to scream for him, to open the doors and run to him, make sure father is okay. But I promised I would stay here until he come get me.

'Butterfly?' A voice suddenly speaks up. It's the same nickname my father uses for me, but it's not his voice. 'Sweetie come out.' It speaks again, but this time with an underlining tone of annoyance. I crawl further away from the door. Making sure I stay hidden. Pressing my back into the corner all the way at the back of the closet.

'Come on!' The voice yells angrily before kicking something, making a loud sound that scares me. I let out a small yelp and everything turns quiet again. Oh no. What have I done?! My only mission was to stay quiet and hidden, I have failed. I have screwed it up. Time passes without any signs of anyone knowing where I am, and I think; maybe he didn't hear me. Maybe I haven't failed.

'BOO!' the doors open in a swift motion and an ugly, blood covered face pops into my vision.

-

"NO!" I scream while kicking the duvet off me. Jumping to the back of the bed. My pulse is high and my body shivers. I am in panic mode. Eyes scanning the room to see if he is there. To see if the ugly man is standing in front of me.

My eyes shot over to the door that opens. Brightening the room with the hallway lights. In a panic, I reach for the nightstand. Trying to find anything I can defend myself with. Anything to help me.

"Y/n?" A deep but familiar voice lets out. "I heard you scream?"

"W-Who is it?! I have a knife!" I lie. I have nothing.

The shadow standing in the doorway walks towards me slowly. "It's Nate."

"N-Nate?" I studder his name. How do I know if it's really him?

"It's okay. Your safe."

"Get back!" I yell at him to stay away, still frightened.

"Y/n. It is only me. No one else is in here. No one will harm you." He continues to walk towards me in a slow, but steady pace. Making me feel small as I try to maneuver further back in the bed, even though I am sitting as far back as I can.

He carefully walks over to the lamp on the nightstand nearest the opened door and turns it on. "See? It is nothing dangerous here" He looks at me with a reassuring, but worried expression.

I'm not sure if I would like a big hug or to just be left alone right now. However, I won't have to make that choice myself. Nate carefully joins me in bed, laying on his back and signalizing for me to go cuddle with him. I hesitantly crawl over to him, still shaking from my nightmare, or flashback if you would rather call it that. I lay down between his legs with my head on his chest. His arms gently wrap around me, stroking my back in a circular motion. "You are okay." He whispers in a calm voice.

He leans forwards and grabs the duvet, making sure I'm covered.

"You are safe."