14 |"I'm going home to her."

Slightly different perspective than usual.
A

lso I listened to Mockingbird by Eminem.
Low-key comfort song.

Cameron POV

I follow after my wife as we leave a torture chamber. We walk up the narrow staircase and turn into the area of an abandoned warehouse, which is one of many W.S. locations. We walk through the door and the bright sunlight hits my face.

The drive back to the hotel is silent as my mind wanders of how the precious girl is doing back home. I mentally debate on telling Lilah my plan or just packing my things and going home to her. That girl deserves more happiness than she was given and I find it unfair for us to treat her as if she was just some animal we can drag along. No offense to animals of course.

Lilah opens the hotel room doors and I follow in after her. She searches through her bags for a change of clothes. My mind decides that it's time to speak up.

"Lilah, we can't keep doing this." I start staring at the carpeted floor.

"What? Torturing people who deserve it?" She asks while still rummaging through the duffle bags.

"No, I mean leaving her."

"She'll be fine. She's probably used to it. Relax." She shrugs and pulls out an outfit throwing it on the bed.

"That's the problem. She is a child, she shouldn't have to be used to it." I defend getting aggravated at her absurdness of her argument in this conversation.

"She is 17. She's practically an adult." She scoffs.

"Because she had to grow up because we're such shit at being parents." I yell and her face flushes.

"Being a parent is about being there for your kids at all times not once a fucking month!" I continue.

"We aren't ever gone that long." She speaks in a calming voice.

"So what is this then? Week 4? You are missing the point here." I run my hands through my hair frustratedly.

"What is the point then, Cameron?" She purses her lip and places her hand on her right hip as she stands in front of me, her light brown hair falling over her face.

"The point is I want to be there for Adalia. I wasn't there after...after,"A lump forms in my throat and I can't even get the words out, let alone accept the fact that I still don't believe it after 4 years.

"We have a job." She gestures around the hotel and that just shot all the patience I had left.

"And I have a fucking kid!" I exclaim.

"We have a kid." She mumbles looking at the ground.

"That you choose not to be there for. I want to and I am going to. I cannot stand going home just to see the disappointed look on that poor girls face and the fake smiles. I want to see her genuinely happy to see me even if it takes years to get back to that." I explain stuffing clothes in my duffle bag.

"What about this?" She comes over to me and grabs my hand to stop me. I yank my hand back and she looks down at my actions, a tear rolling down her face.
It breaks my heart to see her like this but I can't keep doing this.