6 | Messages

Adalia POV

"See you went to a party and nothing bad happened." Alex says in the hall very loudly.

"Can you chill the fuck out. Damn." I groan while leaning my head against my locker. We have one more class before we can go home and my hangover barely faded.

"Are you guys coming over today?" I ask turning around And leaning my back against the locker.

"Can't, I have practice."

"Dance, today." Ri says. I just sigh and put my things away.

"Yeah so I'm going home now." I groan.

"You still have another class." Alex points out like I didn't already know that.

"I'm skipping it." And I walk away before they can protest. I push the door open and walk to my car.

The drive was short considering I didn't go home. I drove to this open field I found a few years ago. My parents came home and I didn't want to see them so I ran away since I didn't have a car yet. It's this huge field of black flowers that I still haven't found the name of. The field has a ledge that I sit at with a small town below it. The lights that come from it give a spectacular view which is why I sit there so often. No one knows about it except one person who I miss dearly.

I sit down on the ledge and look off into the distance letting my thoughts take over. I look over to the board on a stick that's shoved into the ground. A name stands in bright letters. A reminder.

I lay back in the flowers and take one in between my fingers, twirling it slowly. It's pretty quiet up here even with a town below because it's pretty much abandoned. Very few people down there. I drop the black rose down onto my chest and let it lay there. My hand rests on my stomach right below the flower. My hair sprawled out in the grass, needing to be washed anyway. My knees bend at the ledge, letting my feet dangle.

I close my eyes as sleep starts to take over my mind.

____________________________________________

"Sophie, I'm home!" I shout placing my keys back into my back pocket. I get no response so I head into the kitchen. I see a white folded paper laying on the counter next to a batch of chocolate cupcakes. I bite into one before picking up the note.

Dear Adalia,

I won't be here for the rest of the week. My absence is due to my father being in the hospital so when you read this, I am most likely on a plane. I left you cupcakes on the counter and chicken Alfredo in the fridge. I made enough to last you the week. I want you to actually eat dear, even if I'm not there. I will be back by Saturday so call me when you read this.

I drop the note down on the counter and dial her number while taking another bite out of the cupcake. She picks up on the second ring.

"Hey, is everything all right?" I say when she answers.

"I don't know and they won't tell me anything and my flight is delayed and I don't know what's happening and I'm having trouble breathing and- " she rushes.

"Sophie breathe with me." I say calmly then continue to take deep breaths with her. She calms down a bit.

"Alright now I want you to slowly talk with me,ok?" I say gently into the phone after putting it on speaker and place it on the counter.

"Ok. My mother called a few hours ago saying that he was just admitted." She says like she's recalling it.

"Did she call you back yet?" I ask.

"No and I'm freaking out." Sophie panics.

"Breathe, Sophie. I want you to call her now and see if she has anymore information. Then I want you to call me back if you can before your flight." I explain.