Volume 3 - Chapter 2 - Footprints

Akira's POV

I continued the chase of the mysterious person for about two minutes. I could have heard his panting as he was slowly running out of stamina. My extended arm was about to reach the back of the person and once I felt his back, I lunged forward and used my body to tackle the person to the floor.

Once I got a good look at the face of this person, my mouth fell to the floor, unable to believe the person I was stationed on top of.

Me: "Komiya-kun? What are you doing here? Why were you spying on my Class?"

I saw the tears in his eyes start to stream down his cheek as he averted his eyes from me, unable to face me. I stood over him and asked again softly,

Me: "Komiya-kun? Why?"

His sniffling became louder as he simply said,

Komiya: "Kawakami-kun, I'm sorry. I'm so sorry!"

Komiya's face was drenched in his tears as they were uncontrollably flowing down his face.

Me: "Komiya-kun, I-"

I didn't know what to say thus leaving me with an awkward feeling. I felt as though words wouldn't get through his distress so I extended my hand toward him to help him stand to his feet. I said the only words I thought would make him whole again.

Me: "I forgive you Komiya-kun. So stand."

He stared at my hand for about five seconds until he finally took it and regained his composure. He stood next to me still unable to maintain the eye contact that I was giving him.

Komiya: "Why did you forgive me? I could have killed you."

His voice continued to shake as the words came out. I turned my head away from him and looked to the sky thinking 'why?'.

Me: "Komiya-kun, I know you didn't do that because you wanted to. You were pressured into it. So how can be mad at you?"

Komiya: "Kawakami-kun. I-"

He sensed that he was about to break down again so he paused to regain his composure. Once he had settled down, he maintained eye contact for the first time throughout our entire conversation.

Komiya: "Kawakami-kun, Thank you. I appreciate it for real."

I nodded to him in acknowledgment and for the first time, he smiled at me.

I wanted this moment to last longer however Komiya was a suspect of spying, and I couldn't leave him without obtaining answers.

Me: "Komiya-kun, were you spying on my Class? Answer me honestly."

I watched his face become visibly tense and his cheeks redden drastically. He started waving his hands at me, denying the allegations thrown at him.

Komiya: "No Kawakami-kun, I wasn't spying! I came looking for you, I was going to ask to see you but I got nervous and when I saw you, I bolted. It was too stressful. I swear."

His alibi lined up, there were two sets of footprints in the sand in the bushes and Komiya wasn't in the bushes but outside of them.