Volume 2 - Epilogue - The Moon

Akira's POV

It was Sunday night when I had awoken from my sleep, filled with nervousness, filled with anger.

Tomorrow would be the day.

Where I would settle everything.

I felt my heart thumping out of my chest as I lay down in my bed, staring at the ceiling above me. Thoughts about how this exam would play out haunted my mind.

Thoughts about betraying my friend were also there. Sakayanagi had set up a truce with Ayanokoji that was about to be broken during this exam. There was also a good chance we would be expelled.

The end was near.

Although I hadn't managed to get a girlfriend or join the student council, I've made friends and played basketball for the first time in a long time.

I decided to sit up causing me to feel a small splash of water drop on my thigh. My hands brushed across my eyes, leaving a residue of more tears.

I guess I really did enjoy myself huh?

The friends and memories I've made along the way won't be forgotten.

But it's time I guess.

Time to complete my mission.

Time to return home, to my family's side.

The Next Day

The morning had broken and I woke up from a deep slumber. The morning was still young, however.

Today marked the beginning of summer break technically. However, because of the special exam, we wouldn't have the full month off for our break.

To remedy this, the school will be carrying us to our special exam using a cruise ship, where we'll be free to do whatever we want. I was excited about that since I had never been on a cruise ship before. I was packing the necessary things I'd need since we weren't allowed much and noticed my chain sitting on the table.

This chain was one I usually wore under my school clothes. I had taken it off after I had returned from the nurse's office to clean it for the month. I held it in my hands and allowed it to dangle. After inspecting it, the memories started to flood my brain.

For my and my sister's fifth birthday, our mother bought us a three-piece chain set. A sun piece, A moon piece, and A sky piece. The chain that I was holding was the moon. My sister and mother held the sun and sky respectively. I latched it around my neck and left my room for the day.

My path was set to the cafeteria, a hardy breakfast was the only thing on my mind.

After I ate breakfast, I decided to kill time by reading manga on my phone until it was time to board the cruise ship. I received a text in the Sakayanagi group chat by Hashimoto and after about five minutes, we all met up near the mall. We all embarked on the cruise ship together and sat at the same table for lunch. Hashimoto was the first to start eating, grabbing a bread roll from our table. He said this whole stuffing his face.

Hashimoto: "Feels kinda lonely without Arisu."

Kito simply nodded and Kamuro ignored him to use her phone. Thus, I was the one that responded to him.