family ties | quentin grimes

dedicated to my pookie ARTICULATEDBYM
cause she love her some quentin 🫶
-

"how do i look?" quentin asked, wiping his hands on his shirt.

"you look good!" mina smiled brightly at him. the two of them were about go to dinner with mina's parents.

"i'm nervous though." this would be the first time he'd be meeting her parents.

"don't be. i'm 95% sure they'll love you."

"and what about that 5%?" he furrowed his brows at her in confusion.

"my father hates you and banishes me from the family for even thinking of being with someone like you." she dramatically spoke, hoping he'd catch her sarcasm.

quentin's eyes widened in shock. "i'm kidding!" she said quickly.

"right..."

"they will love you q, and if they don't, it doesn't matter cause i love you." she grabbed his hand and rubbed the back of it with her thumb.

"thank you baby." he hugged her waist and kissed her forehead.

"you're welcome. you ready?"

"ready as i'll ever be."

they left his apartment and drove to a nearby restaurant.

"oh there they are!" angela exclaimed and got up out of her seat, going to greet the both of them.

"hey momma." mina smiled as she embraced her in a tight hug, "hey pretty girl."

"mom, this is quentin, my boyfriend." she gestured towards him, blushing slightly.

"it's nice to meet you mrs. jackson."

"oh please call me angie! it's nice to meet you too quentin, i've heard a lot about you." she hugged him and rubbed his back comfortingly.

"your father is waiting for y'all." she waved them over as she walked them to their table.

"so far so good." mina whispered to quentin, making him smile.

"hey dad." she waved at the man and went to hug him.

"mhm. who's the boy?" omar glared at quentin, making him even more nervous.

"dad, this is quentin. be nice!" she pat his shoulder before going to sit down.

"it's nice to meet you sir." quentin shook his hand firmly as he sat down.

"you too." mina's dad nodded, intently watching quentin's every move.

"good evening. my name is lana and i'll be your server for the night! can i start you guys off with some drinks?"

each of them ordered their drink of choice and made small conversation.

"so, quentin, i heard you're in the nba." angie drank some of her water, snacking on the bread and butter in the middle of the table.

"he is?" omar's eyebrows raised at her words. he played basketball back in his day and in his mind, he could've made it to the league.

"yeah i play for the knicks."

"oh really? i like him mina." he excitedly spoke, sipping some of his diet coke.

"huh?" she furrowed her brows in confusion. if she knew it'd be this easy, she would've introduced them a long time ago.

"yeah! he's a keeper!"

"dad are you being serious right now?" she tried to read his facial expression.

he tended to be sarcastic and it was hard to decipher when he was being serious.

"as a heart attack!"

omar and quentin talked about basketball and sports in general while mina and her mom talked about the things going on in her life.

they eventually ordered their food and ate while keeping conversation going. it was safe to say that quentin had secured his son-in-law spot in the family.

"you think you could hook us up with tickets?"

"dad please—" mina went to stop him, but quentin interrupted her, "oh yeah! just tell me when."

this made omar a little too happy, making him dance in his seat.

"alright now big baller. pipe down." angie glared at omar, stopping his mini celebration and making mina laugh.

the rest of the dinner was filled with laughter and smiles.

"well it was nice meeting you guys."

"it was nice meeting you too son." omar firmly shook quentin's hand, smiling.

"son? SON?" mina's eyes widened as she held onto quentin's wrist in shock.

"mina calm down." he cut his eyes at her.

"i'm sorry but i was not expecting that, especially from you." she held up her hands in surrender.

"what is that supposed to mean?"

"you're pretty intimidating sir." quentin chuckled as mina nodded in agreement.

"only when i need to be." he shrugged his shoulders.

"sureeee. anyway, i love you guys and i'll see you tomorrow." mina went to hug her mom.

"quentin, would you like to join us for dinner tomorrow night? we have plenty of room." angela politely smiled.

"i'd love to but i'll actually be on a flight back to new york."

"aw no." omar sighed in emotional manner.

"dad it's not like he's leaving forever." she snickered.

"you keep talking and you getting a whopping." he warned, pointing at her.

"yeah yeah. bye dad." mina hugged him tightly, rubbing his back.

"bye baby. i'll see you quentin." he saluted the boy.

"yes sir. have a good night." quentin smiled widely, waving at the both of before going to his car.

"i like him a lot." omar said he watched them drive away.

"oh really? i couldn't tell." angela teased, making him laugh.

-
this was super fun to write
mina bae, i hope you like it 🫶

now, i have a question. how would y'all feel if i wrote a smut, SPECIFICALLY, a jordan poole smut? 👀

also, i apologize for leaving y'all in the dark again. college is beating me up at the moment so yeah. but i'll publish more often, slowly but surely!