𝟏𝟓 | 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐂𝐢𝐫𝐜𝐥𝐞

"God dammit, where the hell are they?"
"Maybe we can try and call them?"

It's been a couple hours now since we've been at the "party of the century". Almost everywhere we turned, partiers were either drunk, high or both. Lots of people were grinding up against one another. Many were passed out on the floor and others were in search for someone they could get it on with. The smell of fruit flavored vapes, earthy marijuana and intense alcohol was everywhere Pico and I turned. I couldn't honestly tell at this point, but it felt like the party doubled, maybe even tripled in size!

We were currently in search for Keith and Cherry, who left not that ago to go and find some food. How we lost Cherry made zero sense, as she stood taller than most people here. Keith on the other hand, despite his vibrant, cyan hair.... I could definitely see us losing him. No doubt about it. With the party increasing by the minute, Pico made sure we didn't get lost in the crowds. Keeping a light yet steady grip on my hand while smoking a joint with his left.

"Not gonna work." He stated, weaving his way through the masses. "It's too noisy, they're not going to hear their phones." "R-Right..." I responded, accidentally bumping into several individuals. I darted my eyes down, stiffening my posture as we walked. My heart thumping weightily against my chest. "Dammit... why now?" I thought, clenching onto Pico's hand. The sudden stabs of fear kept assaulting my overthinking mind, as the surrounding gatherings of people felt like they were closing in with every step. "It's ok... It's ok..." I muttered to myself, darting my eyes between the ginger's hand and his back.

Just before my anxiety got serious, I got pulled off to the side. The groups of people dispersing in an instant. I glanced up, blinking a couple of times. Noticing how instead of the deafening music and scents of liquor, we were outside in the fresh air. The night's stars shimmering down to us with a fainted, white glow. I loosened my grip on Pico's hand, observing my surroundings more clearly. Nearby, there were patches of grassy grounds and gorgeous landscaping. String lights hung above us on the neighboring polls, casting a warm yellow shine. I took this time to calm myself down, taking a few deep breaths. Not that many people were outside which was great, but still a good amount.

"Jeez, where the hell did they go?" Pico asked in disbelief, grabbing his lighter from his front pants pocket. "I'm sure they're alright." I assured, looking up to the irritated ginger. Watching as he relit his joint. "They've been in worse situations." Pico gazed down to me with subtle, wrinkled brows, crossing his arms at his chest. "Did you forget how stupid they can be too?" He retorted, taking a drag off his joint. "Ehhh I mean-"

"Hey!" An unaccustomed voice called out. We looked to it, seeing an older person with short, wavy blonde hair came up to us. They wore a dark, navy-blue button up with fitted black, ripped jeans that complimented their thin, circular glasses and gender-fluid pin they wore on their unbuttoned shirt. "You look fun! Come join our game!" I gulped, gripping onto the hem of my dress. "You'll make a fool of yourself." A voice hissed in my head, my heart sinking into my stomach.

"Um... I... I s-shouldn't." I managed to say weakly with a trembling lip. "Oh, don't worry!" They reassured with a grin, grabbing my available hand. "It'll be fun, I promise!" The blonde accelerated to the other side of the lot, me stumbling a bit behind them. Heavy footsteps were behind us, as Pico yelled at the mystery person. Demanding that they let go of me.

Thankfully, we didn't get far. We approach a cemented area with a shed nearby, all decorated for the occasion. A stereo hung above one of the wooden polls, playing a different song than the one inside. A group of maybe twenty something people were congregated in a circle, sitting on the concrete grounds. It being a mixture of men and women from what I could distinguish. "Hey guys, I found more people to play!" The person announced to the group, freeing my hand. The circle looked up to the blonde and I, taking quite an interest in me.

"Great! Who are you?" A blue-haired woman asked, leaning forward. Her eyes flitted between me and the blonde. "We- I'm- She's..." I stammered out lightly, looking down at my feet as I tugged at my turtleneck. Eventually humming to myself as the awkward silence caused me to concave deeper into my intruding thoughts.

"Yo, what the hell man?" Pico interrupted heatedly. His familiar, raspy voice and distinct accent snapped me out of my thoughts. Making me look up to him as he approached my side, placing a hand on my shoulder. "You don't just go dragging people around places without their permission." He furrowed his brows as he shot an intense scowl at the blonde. "Especially [Y/N]."

"P-Pico, it's ok! Really!" I said, looking up to him. My cheeks starting to warm up once more, taken aback from his sudden gesture. "We were looking for something to do earlier. M-Maybe we could try this?" I reminded, looking down to the capless, brown liquor bottle placed in the middle of the ring. Perhaps this was Truth or Dare or something. Surely that wouldn't be too bad.

The ginger looked down to me, his expression softened but still firm. "You sure you ain't just saying that?" I shook my head, gazing into his white eyes. Feeling much calmer than I was a few seconds ago. "I'm ok, I promise. I want to do this." I assured, smiling tenderly. Pico looked over to the substantial circle for a moment before sighing deeply. "Where do you want us?" He queried the blonde with a grumble.

"Right here's good!" The blonde responded with a grin, gesturing the ones next to an empty spot to scootch over. They did as such, making enough room for the three of us to sit down in the ring. "So, we're going to start off by introducing ourselves." The person begun once everyone settled. "My name is Mori, they/them pronouns and I'm studying Psychology here at the university." Mori greeted with a beam.

One by one, everyone in the circle began introducing themselves: Lawliet, Willow, Sammy, Juleika. At one point, I thought I heard Keith's name as I searched the area for our friends. Then again, I could have heard Evan or Cam. Or maybe Luis? Who knows at this rate. Luckily, Pico and I didn't have to introduce ourselves. As his little hothead moment saved me from embarrassing myself.

Whilst I remained to look for the couple, I found myself paying less interest to the remainder of the introductions and the rules following. The words of my fellow partiers drifted into one ear and out the other, as the sounds of the stereo filled my ears. So far, there were no signs of the lovebirds anywhere. I let out a sigh, looking down to the floor below me. "Damn, we might have to just shoot them a text." I thought, reaching for my pocketbook at my side and putting it on my lap. "I'll just go ahead and do-"

"...you're gonna have to take a shot!"
"Wait, what??"