Chapter 38: The places we should have been. (Part 2)

Comenzar desde el principio

"I know," he said slowly and turned his aim to Anna herself. "Lillia stop her movements!"

"On it!" the girl responded and dropped Reina to the ground. Unlike before she concentrated her magic into a fine set of strings that flared forwards. As they landed against Anna's monstrous body they began to rapidly dissolve but not before Lillia made more and more.

Enraged Anna screamed and from the gaps between the Lillia's strings dozens of sword like appendages cracked upwards before coursing towards where Lillia stood in concentration. Even if she had tried to make a barrier, the wide spread magic would have vanished on contact and when it came down to it Lillia was much more fragile compared to Kyle. As the slick blades descended Lillia did not bat an eye and focused on her role to keep Anna from moving. Her trust in Kyle didn't waver. A shocking white aura of light spread from him and with it an incredible impulse to attract all attention. The blades diverted and while he couldn't block them all, against his near invincible body the wounds would only cause pain.

"Maila!" Kyle grunted as parried away as many of the blows as he could.

"Done!" A clap of power revolved right below where Anna was tied. Standing poised and ready, Maila had her fist cocked to fire. As it struck instead of bursting apart the ooze like body, the force rippled across it, freezing and causing cracks to form. "Reina!"

Unable to move an inch now, Anna's body was an easy target. Reina's spear cut through her chest, remaining impaled to the edge of the blade as something much harder beneath was struck. The collapse happened much quicker than anyone expected as with a sudden burst the monstrous body Anna had been bound to burst apart and the black ooze fizzed away. Landing to the floor were the remains of the knights used as its sustenance and Anna herself.

Reina hobbled towards her wincing as she did so, but as she looked down at the women who had betrayed them, she could only feel pity, "Anna, what did he do to you?"

Against their expectation Anna replied, her voice weak but no longer crazed or filled with pain, "He made us what we deserved." She laughed spitefully and cried as her face revealed the true regret she suffered. "I-I didn't want this. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."

"Anna...," Reina kneeled beside her and took her hand gently in hers. Reina's spear remained embedded in her chest, and although no blood spilled from the wound, the tips of her feet had begun to fade away.

"Bethial..., is he?"

"Yes...," Reina replied softly. Anna said nothing, taking in what she already knew, her last bit of hope dashed. She looked down at her dissolving body and revelled in her despair. Reina gripped her hand. "Anything you can tell us now will help."

"He's gone mad," Anna said simply. "Since we arrived here, Philius no longer listened and then he gave us an ultimatum. In the end I became this...."

"And Urza?" Reina's eyes hardened.

"He's up there," Anna pointed with her eyes. "His ritual almost complete."

It was clear Reina immediately wanted to leave, to chase her revenge, but in the end she simply couldn't let go of the women she once called an ally.

"It's just Philius is at the end, near the altar. He's waiting for you." With what strength remained Anna gripped Reina's hand back, her eyes drifting to Kyle, Lillia and Maila. "You have to stop him, please."

"We will," Kyle replied with all certainty. "No matter what."

"Thank you." She laughed, "I'm sorry for hating you." And with those final words, the link holding her to the world ended and all at once the rest of her body fell to dust.

Reina stood up, Maila however gripped her hand, "Where are you going?"

"To kill Urza," she replied coldly.

"You're in no state to-."

"Then what do I do!?" Reina snapped. "All that preparation, that training! If I can't- If Urza isn't-, Damn it, if Valandus dies I won't be able to stand it!"

Maila loosened her eyes to a gentle care, "Valandus will be fine. He's an idiot a lot of the time but he has his own way of doing things."

Kyle nodded, "And you'd be surprised, his way of doing things might be similar to your own."

"Then we kill Philius," she turned again only to fall to her knees in pain.

"No," Maila shook her head. "You and I will head back to Pelmont. You're clearly hurt."

"But-."

"Don't complain." Maila looked to Lillia and Kyle, "In the end we were just here to cover their backs even a little. With what he did to Anna, we'll only be a liability to them. Right Kyle?"

He scratched his head in reply and admitted the truth, "Honestly yes. If it's become like this and we have to put out all the stops we won't have the freedom to protect you."

"Ha," Maila sighed and helped Reina back to her feet. "The truth hurts, but from the moment I met you I thought this day may come. I just didn't think it would come so soon, or on a scale like this. Be the Heroes you two were always meant to be, and please, come back to us."

Lillia thumped her chest, "Of course we will!"

Reina however was a bit more apprehensive, "In the end I was useless."

"Don't be like that," Maila began to walk her out. "Pelmont probably needs help anyway."

"I'll see you all again I promise," Kyle let out a tentative smile.

"I know...," with the caretakers reply they exited the chamber.