Chapter 20: Doubt (Part 2)

It wasn't till they had entered the mountain compound when the Captain spoke with a certain admiration, "Good job defusing those girls Kyle. Even I know they can be a handful. However..., I'm not sure how I feel about you asking them to think of their futures. As much as I agree, we're also raising them to do battle against demons. A fight you know how hazardous can be."

Kyle faced him resolutely, "If there comes a time when those three girls have to fight, it won't be without me or Lillia. I want them to have the choice to fight and if possible I'd rather them say no."

"That's an idealistic view," the Captain noted. "But it's one I'd also like to see."

Lillia stretched her arms and smiled, "Yeah unlike them I'm already in this a bit too deep, but I also got my wish."

"Your wish?" the Captain looked at her with interest.

"Yep, it was too try falling in love," with no subtlety she rubbed closer to Kyle who blushed.

A deep laugh echoed down the corridor even disturbing some of the people working away in their offices, "I see. Good job Kyle. Seeing you two really does give me a strange sense of hope." His usual stern expression had softened quite a bit, "That being said please keep your relation a secret to the Church. There would be implications...." Lillia didn't quite understand but Kyle did. The children didn't always have such vivid emotions and while they loved, they had never experienced a romantic love, not until Kyle had appeared at least.

"This... this is going to be interesting," he sighed and from there it was only a few more minutes till they reached the meeting room.

Like the Captain had said earlier the rushed meeting wasn't going to be formal and to show it, the location was rather ordinary. Within the temple area and a ways from the Hero's Guard, a room had been prepared for them. The only indication that behind the door was something important were the two temple knights who stood on guard. More so than even the knights of Lavise the fully armoured figures were intimidating. Their armour looked margins better than that of the standard member of the Hero's Guard and not only just pragmatic, a multitude of smaller details gave it an elegant appearance. It was as if to say that these were the guards of the final boss and showed just how serious they could be.

Unarmoured and wearing the officer's uniform the Captain looked small standing beside them. His stature however wasn't effected and with a casual nod to the knights, he opened the door gesturing for Lillia and Kyle to enter. It was also clear that he wouldn't be coming with them. Inside, the sparse room had a simple table and three chairs. Aside from an artistic map painted against one wall and a large vase with blooming flowers, there was little decoration. With the lack of sights to catch his eyes, there was only one thing to focus on and that was the fully robed person sitting at the table. From the top of their head to the bottom of their feet not an ounce of skin could be seen. The seemingly heavy robe was patterned with golden lace and covering their face was a veiled hood.

As Kyle and Lillia entered the person stood and in a smooth feminine voice welcomed them, "It's a pleasure to meet you, Kyle and Lillia. I am Arla a member of the Church Council."

"It's an honour Arla," Kyle accepted her outstretched hand and forced all the negative emotions from his mind. "Sorry we're late. I wasn't quite prepared."

"That is fine," she replied relaxed as she also greeted Lillia. "I must apologise as well for my dress. It is custom for us the in the Church Council to not reveal our appearances. I hope you do not mind."

As curious as Kyle became he simply smiled, "It's no problem."

"Good, let us sit and talk," she took the lead and sat at the table. "Please do not be shy and ask any queries you may have." Her eyes glanced at Lillia, "After all there a great many things you must be curious of."