Chapter 5: A Garden with Something Else. (Part 3)

When Kyle woke up the sun had barely risen. His usual waking habits had been ingrained in his body and not having any dreams, there was nothing to keep him asleep. With a yawn he stretched his body and looked outside the window. The sky which he was still not sure was fake or not was beginning to light up. Although it was still dark, he could make out the far walls of the Garden. The long house was settled near the back end and surrounded by trees. To Kyle it felt like a private getaway from the world as hidden as it was.

He quickly got changed and made his way outside. This was his chance to make a good first impression. The house was quiet and there was no one to show him around but from Lillia's brief description he found his way to the kitchen. To his pleasant surprise the equipment was all quite new and much better than those he had used back at home. Beside the kitchen several long tables sat in a row. Counting the number of seats thirty people could sit down easily. If it was anything to go by it meant he had quite a bit of work to do now.

The pantry was fully stocked and having received permission already he began to take out the ingredients he needed. For this morning's breakfast it would be pancakes served with fruit jam. At the same time Kyle also began baking some bread for later. He had woken up too early and breakfast still wouldn't be for a while yet. Before long however the pleasant smell of cooking batter filled the room.

"You're actually baking," the voice came from Maila surprising him. The young women had come out of nowhere and was far closer than he expected. "Bethial was right. If you really were military you would have heard me coming."

Kyle flinched away and awkwardly laughed, "I thought I should prepare something to ease my arrival."

"Not a bad idea but Edgar doesn't like strawberries and Falli doesn't eat pancakes without chocolate chips. Some of them can be real picky as well but don't let them build bad eating habits."

"I also made some different jams and I did see some chocolate chips. I hope you don't mind me using everything." He was quite used to people being picky eaters especially the village children back in Tomph. His father was one of them and unless he cooked himself, they'd end up having the same things every week.

"It's fine so go ahead. I was a little harsh on you yesterday and I could use the help." Kyle completely understood. If it had been him and he'd found out someone he cared for wasn't coming home, he'd be the same if not worse. The fact that she wasn't more melancholic surprised him. Maila looked outside, "We usually have breakfast about 8ish but the biggest problem is getting everyone up."

The sun had risen now and the morning light lit up the outside yard. To Kyle it felt like he was still living in his isolated village. The Garden despite being so close to the hustle and bustle of the city had been completing enclosed. Initially he thought it would take him awhile to get used to everything but if it was like this he'd be fine.

Maila reached past him and took one of the ready pancakes. She paused after a single bite her expression softening, "Okay I admit you're pretty good. Lillia was right, the children will love it."

"Thanks I really tried," Kyle gave her a pleasant smile in return.

She blinked and stared at him directly, "Has anyone told you you're quite feminine?"

Kyle winced feeling as if a stake had been driven through his heart, "All the time but I guarantee I'm a man."

"Just don't put on a dress or you'll confuse the kids," she giggled and patted down her apron. "I'll start waking everyone up. They're not quite used to strangers so they might act a bit weird but just smile and they'll come around."