Chapter 13: Closing and Opening (Part 1)

Chapter 12: Closing and Opening

A white ceiling that he had seen before and with it the sound of a soft beeping. Kyle turned his head and let his eyes wander the room. His vision was blurry but he could make out that he had been taken to the Hero's medical centre. The same place he had visited Lillia so many times and in a turn of irony he was now the one in her place. A figure quickly came into view as he tried to rise and wipe away the musk clouding his eyes.

"Lillia?"

"That would be Officer Reina Montez to you Kyle," the strict feminine voice sounded evenly.

"Oh...," his vision finally settled as he realised there was no one else beside the two.

"Don't be so disappointed, Lillia has her own check-ups to complete." Reina sighed, "As soon as she heard you were gone she charged out of here. No one could stop her."

While she spoke Kyle moved his muscles finding that all the injuries he had sustained were now perfectly healed, "What happened?"

"A lot thanks to you. It's a nightmare of paperwork as well," she huffed but faced him seriously. "You fainted and Lillia bought you straight here. She caused quite a stir running past everyone as well. Her quick response made sure that none of your injuries caused any permanent damage, though you could also thank yourself for that."

"Me?"

"Yes it seems you're lack in magical talent is supplemented by a rather decent self-healing." Reina picked up a nearby chart. "A normal person would have died and even a trained soldier would have taken much longer to recover."

"And just how long have I been unconscious for?" Kyle asked preparing himself for the answer. With how he was injured and how he had pushed himself. It wouldn't be odd for him to have collapsed for several days.

"It's been about 4 hours."

"Wait that's it?" he showed his clear surprise. The way he felt was close to perfect.

"I did say it was rather decent for a reason," Reina folded her arms. "As for what happened to you, your friend Marisha filled us in on the details."

Kyle breathed in relief, "So she's okay?"

"Sleeping and having her own injuries treated in another location."

He smiled knowing she was safe however his expression quickly turned dark as he gripped the bed sheets tightly, "And Councilman Tombre?"

"That... that issue is a bit more complicated. Currently he's been placed under house arrest and under investigation." She held up her hand to silence Kyle before he could speak, "You don't need to worry about yourself or the Hero candidates. Due to his position it'll be some time before he receives any form of punishment but the Church and Guard have made it clear he will now have nothing to do with you or the Garden."

"I see...," he let go of the sheets and closed his eyes. It was over and as the sensation of safety spread through his body Kyle smiled. "By the way how did you find me? The room I was trapped in was sealed from the outside world."

Reina lips twitched into a somewhat smug curl, "Careful use of planning and a very worried Hero. We sent search parties out into the city and Councilman Tombre offered his own men to help. Just in case we monitored the movements of everyone we could for anything suspicious and when the Councilman's team vanished it didn't take long for us to notice. The problem however was that we still couldn't make out your exact location. Lillia was the one who eventually pulled you out."