Chapter 24: Differing Reality (Part 1)

"It's been a while," Kyle mumbled the words as Tomph came into view. They were still quite far but from a distance he could already see the houses nestled between the trees and the rising smoke. They hadn't stayed in Trentheim for long and found a carriage quickly after disembarking the train. Being a remote village there was no public transport heading that way. Their best option was quite a step down from the usual truck. A carriage pulled by two horses with a canvas cover and hay stuffed cushions for seats. Even then half the space was filled with trade goods as not even the most willing driver would want to make the journey without reason.

"You excited?" Lillia nudged Kyle with a grin.

"Nervous is more like it," he shook himself. "I didn't tell anyone I was coming home so it's going to be a bit of a surprise. Also I'm not really looking forward to the conversation that's coming."

Melissa laid a hand on his shoulder and shook it gently, "Relax. If you want you can leave that for later. For now just enjoy your visit home. We've been given enough time after all."

"You say that but when my dad gets going he won't stop and I can't really hide some things," he looked up to his hair. Although neatly stuffed into a hat there wasn't much he could do to hide all of it. "Might as well do it all at once."

"Ugh now that I think of it I'm getting nervous," Lillia moped.

"Why are you nervous?"

"I'm visiting my boyfriend's house for the first time!" her eyes grew wide. "What if your father doesn't like me?"

"Yeah you are kind of weird," Valandus teased.

"Don't you start," Melissa huffed and pulled his ear causing him to wince.

"Hey not so hard!" he brushed her off, "It was a compliment. Both of them are pretty weird so they suit each other."

Even with their banter the group reached Tomph as the sun began to set. The driver dropped them off in the centre square and made his own way to complete his deliveries leaving the four to themselves. Kyle took a deep breath and smiled. The familiar setting had barely changed at all and a few of the villagers still milled around however kept to themselves. It was rare to have visitors and in most cases the ordinary villagers had nothing to do with them. It also seemed like they weren't able to recognise Kyle as he stood with the others, though that wasn't their fault. Although he hadn't noticed it himself, leaving aside his clothing, his physical appearance had changed quite a bit including the way he carried himself. His face was smoother and his body had tightened from constant exercise but most of all the simple aura he had of a village boy was gone. Realising the subtle change a tremble of loneliness echoed down his body but didn't go far as a hand gripped his own, though not to comfort him but herself as Lillia shook with nerves, Kyle couldn't help but relax.

"Let's go," he led the way down the road to where his home waited. They didn't make it far however as another pair came the opposite way and unlike the others, were too shrewd not to notice him.

"Kyle!?" Marisha almost shouted his name and quickly stepped closer to make sure. "It really is you! What are you doing here?"

"I'm just visiting home for a bit," he replied tenderly.

"You could have sent me a message," she frowned and tapped her foot. "We would have prepared something special for your return."

Kyle laughed a little awkwardly, "I'm not staying for long. I just need to pick up some things."