Chapter 31: An introduction. (Part 1)

There were two known entrances to the Garden. The first being through the supply room of Melissa's office and the second a rarely used and hard to find passage behind the Temple. The compound of the Hero's Guard was impossible to get to. The tight corridors and straight lines made it incredibly easy to spot intruders and being where much of the modern technology of the Guard was stored, it was swarmed with Lavise troops. The temple entrance, though hard to navigate to, was a much easier alternative and closer. The problem came however when the group reached it.

There was no doubt that it would be heavily guarded but as they turned the faced the entrance it was the opposite. There were not guards in sight. They had already broken through. The door leading to the Garden was open and beyond was the usual dark passage.

Melissa crouched down, "These marks, they only passed through recently."

"Which means reinforcements might be on the way here now," Reina's teeth clenched.

Kyle drew his sword, "It doesn't matter. If they so much touch a single hair on the children, I'll make sure that regret is the simplest thing they'd experience."

"We don't have a choice," Reina nodded. "Melissa send the signal. From here we're in active combat. Mercy is for those with the leeway to allow it. Do not forget what we are here for." She drew her spear from her back. With a snap elongated it to its full length.

Sparing one more moment Kyle clenched Lillia's hand, "They'll be alright."

"That's because we'll make sure of it," her hand gripped his in return and with that she lead the way.

The passage only lasted a few metres and as the light welcoming them to the Garden flared alive, the full brunt of Lavise' investment was clear. Not just knights but ordinary guardsman as well and with them machines built not to defeat demons, but for war. Dozens of them at the entrance and more had already advanced. In the distance a protective shimmer shone where the lodge remained untouched, outside it the force of magic being wielded without inhibition. Not only were the bursts of light clear in the distance, but so were the intense waves of mana that came with it. The group didn't stop.

"Who are-," was all the guardsman could say as the four burst from the tunnel. Lillia waved her hand releasing a torrent of ice pushing apart the crowd. Screams of surprise echoed all around them as the sensitive machinery still being erected broke apart. The Lavise knights' response was quick but Lillia's resolution was clear as she ignored them and continued to break through. Her goal, her family waiting beyond.

The knights went after her but Kyle was only a step behind and as his sword swung to protect Lillia, he closed off his heart. For certain there were those like Talia, those that disagreed with the Councilman's methods and were only following orders, but here in a fight with so many things on the line, Kyle could not afford to stop. The pressure of his blade released an impact much longer than his reach would normally allow. Batted down and away, the Lavise knights could only thank the armour that saved their lives.

"Keep going!" Reina yelled. "We'll seal the passage."

A single look back was all Lillia and Kyle could afford as the main attack force was surely closer to the lodge. Melissa and Reina however were as capable as Kyle always believed and though many members of the Lavise troops managed to recover from the surprise attack, the two women made quick work of them.

The two charged up the path heading straight for the lodge, moving faster than they had ever before. Within a single minute they made it to the border of the barrier and were the true fight was taking place. Armoured knights of the Church that Kyle had rarely seen, working together with the familiar uniformed members of the Hero's guard. They moved just outside the barrier preventing the Lavise troops from attacking it directly and amongst them were three girls, their hair colour a clear indication to who they were.