Chapter 29: A step in motion. (Part 1)

Kyle walked alone in the camp. Although the dawn was only a few hours away, unlike the others he wasn't the slightest bit tired. As time went by he began to feel more and more connected to Estile. There was however a problem. He knew Estile as a cheerful Hero who cared for her family and friends, whose determination and skills went far beyond what you could call simply talented. But there was the darker side to her past that he was beginning to realise. The memories from thousands of years ago, painful recollections filled with a seething hatred for devil kind. It was odd and not like the Estile he knew.

"Looks like I was right," the voice resounded from several metres away. A perfect distance so not to scare but still be heard.

Kyle turned to the black haired man who stood on the edge of the shadows, "Riften I thought you went to sleep."

"That was just an excuse to get you alone," he smirked. "You and I both know we don't need much sleep. Though some of us back then really did like to indulge on it."

"Mori did always enjoy a midday nap," Kyle smiled as the memory came easily. "Did you want to talk?"

"Yeah, but more than that I just wanted to see you again." He walked closer and breathed deeply, "It's comforting being around you. You know I'm not usually the emotional type but..., I was lost for almost twenty years and the entire time I came face to face with everything we lost. Seeing you, it makes me feel like things really are getting better."

"It really is good to see you too Riften," Kyle paused. "I'm just sorry that I can't remember everything yet."

"Actually that's what I wanted to mention but first let's sit down," he pointed the way and soon the two were sitting facing the immense expanse of the fog. It was a strange mystifying view, and not one either of them quite liked.

For a while the two sat in silence watching the wisps of fog press against the invisible barrier. Although Kyle had already met Arvel, he looked to the man like a father and they were already comfortable together. Sitting beside Riften it was a different sense of familiarity. He truly was like an old friend.

"It's hard isn't it?" Riften finally began.

"What is?" Kyle asked genuinely.

"Your memories," the black haired man pointed to his own head. "Every one of us had a different beginning and it's not something all of us shared."

"Did I ever share mine?"

"Nope, or at least not to all of us. Karen however, she knew the truth."

"That's...," Kyle had been hoping he could explain things but luck wasn't on his side.

"Yeah, Estile never told us but, I'm a sneaky fella," Riften smiled tenderly. "I heard you and Karen talking about it once. Probably over a thousand years ago now. I didn't get much as you two scared me off pretty quick but what I did get, you had every right to hate devil kind more than any of us."

"Then these feelings...."

"That may just be Estile's origin. Here's the thing though," his smile became sincere. "Though at the start you were damn frightening, you changed and then managed to win our peace. When things settled, you were always the first to find the best in anyone, devil or not. Honestly I thought you were an idiot at times, but I trusted that idiot with my life."

Kyle mulled over his words, the Estile covered in blood and the smiling Estile who cheered for a peaceful world, they were the same yet different, "Thanks, I think I needed to hear that but I get the feeling you have a point to this."