Chapter 34: Ramifications. (Part 3)

The meeting took the entire day with a short break for lunch. Kyle had to commend the Hero's Guard and the Church for their speedy management and organisation. He and Lillia had only been sleeping for less than a day and already they had created a solid plan. It was also in thanks to Arvel and Riften, and quite a few captured prisoners who worked for Philius. With their knowledge it was all but certified how Philius would act.

With the sun set, Kyle sat at the edge of the lodge's lawn. The barrier that had been erected during the battle ended right where he sat and the difference was easy to see. On one side was the lodge and although things had been shifted it looked mostly the same. The other side should have been a garden plot, instead it was covered in burnt grass, gouged earth and stumps that marked where trees once were.

"So did you figure out a way yet?" Kyle asked as Arvel sat beside him.

"Not quite," he shook his head. "Navigating the fog without any equipment will just have us running in circles. We could really use another sky fortress."

"That would take too long to build."

"I know...," he sighed but then looking at Kyle smiled. "You grew up well."

Kyle let out a tired laugh, "Did I grow up how you expected?"

"God no," Arvel smirked. "But better than I could ever imagine."

"I do have to say though, this is kind of awkward now most my memories are back," he looked at his father, his friend. "Thanks for raising me."

"It was an honest pleasure and don't worry I won't say anything about your more embarrassing moments."

"Thanks," Kyle curled his legs to his chest and leaned into his father's side.

"Estile-."

"Not right now. Right now I'm just Kyle," he closed his eyes.

Arvel smiled and wrapped an arm around him, "And I'm your dad. You've been through so much and I know you'll continue to do your best but when all this is over, how about we open another bakery?"

"Find a place out in the world without the fog. Why stop at a bakery? We could build a small place of our own so when everyone comes back, we can welcome them home."

"That sounds amazing... when all this is over." He paused and spoke slowly, "Esti-, Kyle I-."

"I know," he replied. "Like I said, when everyone comes back."

"When everyone comes back," Arvel repeated satisfied and after a pause let out a shallow laugh. He wiped a tear from his eyes, "I can't wait for that day to come."

Kyle straightened himself and smiled, "We'll make it happen. We'll make sure the world is a nice place."

"What makes you so sure?"

"Why? Because we're here," he replied confidently.

"Those words sound familiar...," Arvel paused and then clapped his hands, "Didn't Kyle say that before?"

"He did. Though now I think about it, when he comes back I guess I should really go by Estile again. I get you wanted to pay homage to him but did you really have to name me after him?"

"Well if you were a girl I was going to name you Estile."

"I'm mostly there at this point," he laughed and stared out to the battle scarred forest.