Chapter 4: The World as they knew it. (Part 2)

In the middle of the night a bell rung. The repeated hollow beat echoed across the Campsite and penetrated into the truck, waking up its occupants. Kyle opened his eyes groggily and turned to see the Captain already standing and wide awake.

"Get up, that bell is the alarm," the Captain's ominous tone immediately swept away all the sleep life inside him.

"Alarm for what?" Kyle shook himself and exited the bunk.

"It means they detected something moving through the fog." He pushed his hand towards the top bunk and dragged out Valandus who crashed to the floor. "Wake up and get ready."

The poor driver moaned, "Really Cap? I can get up like a normal person."

"We don't have time for normal."

"Yes sir," he shook himself away and went to the front of the truck. From the loft above Reina and Lillia descended.

Bethial immediately began to organise the crew, "Reina you're with me. We're going to see what's happening outside. Lillia stay close by the truck but under no circumstances are you to armour up."

"But-,"

"No buts. We haven't run any tests yet. Your body may not be stable."

"Understood sir," she nodded though clearly upset.

"Kyle keep Lillia company and stay out of the way. Valandus if things get dicey your primary objective is to get them out of here."

"Yes sir," the driver saluted from around the corner.

Reina and Bethial left the truck and quickly ran towards the centre of the Campsite where the Sweepers were gathering. Alongside them was Lady Petunia who was barking orders to her crew. Lillia and Kyle stood just outside as Valandus made preparations for a quick getaway. From their position they could see the busy disarray of movement as the Sweepers hurriedly prepared their defences. It looked like they were getting ready for war as dozens of members took up firearms and prepared large cannons aimed towards the fog. At the very least they were used to what they were about to do.

The Captain and 2nd officer stood at the vanguard of the Sweepers, each wearing the knightly armour he had seen before. Unlike the others who wore light clothing and held guns, the two seemed out of place with their sword and spear.

"They'll be fine," Lillia said firmly. Her hands tightened against her sides as she visibly wanted to join them. Kyle could only believe her as he looked towards the fog. The bell had stopped tolling and now a tense silence had overcome the atmosphere. Just as Kyle thought about moving, it appeared. Large enough for them to see it clearly, the beast was covered in razer grass like fur. Its wide arms and legs spread out and a strange squished head faced forward. If Kyle had known what a starfish was he would say it looked like one crossed with a bear. The frightening thing wasn't its presence however but the fact that Kyle had seen something just like it. They were the same monsters Estile had fought in his dreams, though this one looked larger.

"Fire!" the yell resounded from Lady Petunia and not even a beat after the air was filled with the roar of bullets flying. A cannon fired sending bits of shrapnel towards the beast. Any normal creature or even demon would have fallen from the assault but the strange monster simply came to a halt using its arms to cover its head and eyes. Sparks flew off its hide as the bullets failed to penetrate.

"Don't stop, keep it pinned down and load the bronzer!" Lady Petunia kept her cool. Beside her a pair of hands worked quickly replacing the shrapnel cannon with a much heavier payload. It fired and a solid metal sphere collided against the monster pushing it back as it shrieked in anger. The terrifying sound forced a pause as ears were blocked and some even fainted. With the sudden opportunity the creature lunged forwards intent to destroy the cannon and crew. It however collided with a beast of a man as the Captain charged. He released a heavy swing and as his two handed blade collided a visible burst of colour sprayed into the air. The monster was forced to the side where Reina stood waiting, her spear poised. The strike was clean and swift piercing through the creature's thick hide and armour like fur.