Chapter 16: Nightmare (Part 2)

At first Kyle thought he'd collapse on his bed and fall asleep in an instant but as he stood in the inn room he felt strangely awake as if all the fatigue in had body had faded away. It wasn't just from the anxiousness for the night to come but instead it was as if he had already slept for several hours. Even as he attempted to lie down in his bed and close his eyes, sleep refused to take. The sensation caused him no small amount of frustration as his body continued to be primed and full of energy. It was like his body was just waiting to jump into action. The worst part however was his mind left alone and out in the open. Sleeping meant dreaming and now that it seemed Kalvara was not the one responsible, Kyle only had more and more questions. After Lillia's goodbye the wish to discover the truth had only become stronger.

Like that hours passed and before long the morning sun was set to rise. Kyle angrier and more frustrated than he had been in a long time pondered by the window. In the end he hadn't slept the smallest amount and yet despite all that time his body refused to let loose. On the horizon the glow of the sun began to creep towards the city and light up the new day. Convinced he was never going to get any rest now Kyle scowled at the mass of gas and fire only to pause as he noticed something strange. Although he could see the edges of the light, it wasn't reaching the city and even odder still it was almost like the darkness was pushing it back.

Frowning he stood up and took a step away from the window. Then it came. A lurching sensation that dug deep into his bones as if they were being gouged and stung. The hair on his skin began to rise and with it a cold and lingering fear. It wasn't enough to drive him away but present and steady, as if simply waiting. Just as the feeling began to fade the sound of a siren began to ring out across the city. The source, the main encampment for the Hero's Guard.

Kyle threw on his jacket and quickly exited his room to find several of the other members of the Hero's Guard already on alert. He spotted Rin's familiar figure and approached her.

"What's going on?" Kyle asked.

She looked at him grimly, "It's come sooner than we thought."

"What, how?"

"I don't know but the way the sky darkened..., it might be a horde."

Kyle blanched as his thoughts went straight to Lillia. Melissa had told him about hordes. Rarer than even Primarchs they were events that could last far longer than usual incursions and summoned huge amounts of demons with nearly no sense or reason.

"Are you sure?" he looked towards the women desperately.

"I've never been in one before. The last was about six years ago. All I know is that it's our job to keep you safe so until we find out what exactly is going on, no one leaves."

"But-,"

A firm hand cut between them, "Listen to what she says Kyle." Mr Devro stood beside him seriously. "No point in risking yours or anyone's neck. You promised the girl you'd stay safe didn't you?"

Kyle could only grit his teeth silently in reply. The biggest stipulation of him being here was that it was for the promotion, not to run into the incursion grounds. As much as he wanted to check on Lillia, he couldn't. He'd just be a liability.

With the outside world refusing to brighten it seemed like it would be night for a long time to come and as the minutes passed, no one, civilian or not, left the inn. Finally a new group arrived at the inn and leading them was Valandus. The usually casual man had a serious expression and aimed straight for where Kyle stood.