Chapter 11: A dance with more than one step. (Part 2)

"C-can I stop now?" Kyle held the wooden practice sword in front of him and swung again. The blade was far lighter than a normal sword but already almost caused him to tip over. "My arms feel like they'll fall off."

"Well they haven't and I can see that so keep going," Maila called out from her seat in the yard. It was the weekend and the children's day off from study and training. Several days had passed since Kyle had woken and aside from his schedule being amended by Maila, things had become routine again. The children were taking the time to participate in their own hobbies and many had come to watch Kyle suffer.

"You're not doing it right Mr Kyle," Himila bounced next to him. She made a gesture with her hands by her waist. "Hold it like this, like this! And then when you swing squeeze!"

"I'm trying really...," Kyle huffed tiredly.

From his other side Kara poked him, "If you can use mana now why don't you? It should be easier then, right?"

"I am!" He really was, though having just started his output was incredibly low and strengthening his body was doing little more than just make him even more exhausted.

Himila who had run off somehow returned with a practice sword, "Here I'll show you." She raised the wooden blade high and let it fall in a blindingly fast motion. More amazing still was her ability to halt the blade exactly where she wanted and from it a burst of force travelled causing the tree branches to shake. "Get it?"

"No, no I don't." It was easier when the children weren't all watching him. Like they were now it was just a reminder of how weak he was compared to their talent. Let alone protecting them, if they ran he could barely chase after them.

Finally his legs gave way and he crumpled to the ground heaving for breath. The patter of feet came soon after and a glass of cold water was pushed his way.

"Here you go Mr Kyle," Zenny offered him the drink with an innocent smile. The ten year old boy had a blue hair very similar to Tai's. Seeing it Kyle couldn't help be reminded of the boy now gone. As young as Zenny was, in as little as four years he could be where Tai had been. The thought caused him to shudder.

Kyle took the glass forcing a gentle smile, "Thank you."

"If you keep going at this rate maybe we can do the difficult stuff in about a year," Maila tutted. By her side were several of the children who sniggered amused.

"Sorry," Kyle bowed his head.

"I'm joking," Maila picked up his dropped sword. "The start is the hardest. It'll take a few weeks before you're even able to build the stamina to progress. You're actually doing fine."

"Right...," he stood up and nodded but couldn't help feel dubious.

Maila looked at him with a slight smirk, "We'll stop for the day. I think it's about snack time for the children anyway."

"O-oh!" their surroundings suddenly became excited.

"I want pudding!"

"N-no we should have pancakes!"

"Pancakes again? Mr Kyle make something else!"

"Like pudding!"

Kyle spread his arms over the children trying to calm them, "Okay I get it. How about we make something together? That way if I'm ever busy you can use the kitchen yourselves."