Jasmine and Elana's Day Off

*****

     Jasmine rubbed her eyes, trying to wake herself up. She looked down and noticed Anthony was still sleeping. As quietly as she could, she got out of bed trying her best not to wake him. Once out of bed, Jasmine went to check on Elana. "Hey!" Jasmine whispered shouted. "Hi?" Elana looked up. "What are you doing up?" she asked. "I just... woke up? I just got done texting the other girls," Elana responded. "You wanna help me make breakfast," Jasmine asked. "Sure," she answered. The girls walked into the kitchen and began cooking. "Here, You cut the fruit. I'll make the pancakes," Jasmine explained. "Okay," Elana said, and they got to work. "So," Elana said while cutting some strawberries, "What are you gonna do today?" Jasmine poured some batter into the pan. "I know Anthony has plans to go do something with Daveed, Oak, and all the other guys. Honestly, I really don't want any part of it." Jasmine told her. "Why?" Elana asked. "You know how they are. I'll probably stay here, work on some music," she explained. "Can I help?" Elana asked. "Sure, it'll be a girls day. We can order in food for dinner," Jasmine said. Elana smiled. A few minutes later, Anthony walked into the kitchen. "What is this? What is this? Do I smell pancakes? And is that some eggs? A lil bit of fruit? I'm ready to eat," he said, making Elana laugh. He reached over and tried to grab some fruit, but Jasmine swatted his hand away. "Ow!" he said, making sure to drag out the o. "It's not done yet. Wait," Jasmine ordered. Anthony glared at her and walked away. Elana just laughed and went to put the fruit back in the fridge.

      Once they finished cooking, they set the table. They all sat at the table and started to eat. "Y'all got anything coming up," Anthony asked, taking a bite of his pancakes. "Me and the other girls are trying to plan a surprise party for Olivia," Elana said. "Her birthday is coming up, I didn't even now that!" Jasmine told her. "Yeah, we want to make it as big as we can. She's turning sixteen it has to be as big as possible," Elana explained. "Guess we can add party planning to today's agenda," Jasmine responded. "Agenda?" Anthony asked. "Yeah! While you're gone today, me and Jasmine are gonna write music and order food, and I guess plan Olivia's party," Elana gushed. "That sounds fun. Me and the guys are gonna go to the skating rink," Anthony said. "To do what?" Jasmine asked. "We may or may not have made a bet that I can run knock over more people than Jon can on skates, so we're trying to see who won the bet," Anthony told them. "And you wondered why I didn't wanna go," Jasmine said looking at Elana. Elana laughed and continued eating her food.

     After they finished eating, Anthony headed out to Daveed's house, leaving Jasmine and Elana to do whatever they wanted. "So... how do you write music?" Elana asked. "I thought you had a songbook. Don't you already know how to write music?" Jasmine questioned. "Yeah, but... I know people think differently, and I guess I just wanted to see if your process was any different than mine," she explained. "Oh okay," Jasmine said, "I guess we should get started." They spent the next hour writing their own respective music, consulting each other occasionally, but mostly kept to themselves. They decided at the beginning that they would write their own songs instead of writing one song together. At the end of the hour, they were both finished. "Okay," Elana started, "What did you write?" Jasmine flipped to the beginning of the song. "I wrote a song called Gravity," she told her. "Can you sing it?" Elana asked. "Um... Sure," Jasmine said. Jasmine wasn't usually nervous to sing, but for some reason she was today, and Elana could tell. "I would love to hear you sing, but you don't have to if you don't want to. I don't judge," Elana comforted. "Thank you, Elana. That's sweet," Jasmine said, "Whew, okay."

(There was a video of Jasmine singing here when I first posted this chapter in the actual book, but like I said in Queenie and Pippa's day off I don't know if I want to re-put it in or not right now)

     "That. Was. Incredible," Elana said after she was done, "Jesus, I could never do that." Jasmine smiled, "Thank you." They sat there for a second. "So," Jasmine said, breaking the comfortable silence they had fell into, "What did you write?" Elana hesitated. "I- wrote a song...," she told Jasmine. "Called?" Jas pushed further. "Called Girlfriends," Elana finished. "Can you sing it?" Jasmine asked. "No, I wrote it for the group. There are parts were everyone sings together and parts were one or two people sing. It'd be too difficult to do on my own," she explained. "Oh... Well can I read it?" Jasmine asked. "I don't know..." she responded. "Come on, please? I sang for you," Jasmine begged. "Fine," Elana gave in and handed her the notebook. She watched carefully, trying to read Jasmine's expressions as she read her song. Realizing she wasn't gonna be able to tell what she thought, Elana looked away from Jasmine and hoped for the best. "This is great," Jasmine said after she was done reading. "Really?" Elana asked. "Yes, Once you and the other girls sing this it's gonna be a hit," Jasmine told her, handing back the book. "Thanks," Elana smiled. "Now that we've finished writing, What do you want to eat?"

     After their food arrived, Elana and Jasmine sat down to eat. They turned on an episode of Dance Moms and started eating. "See... Me and Abby would had to fight if she was your dance teacher. Ain't nobody gone yell at any child of mine that way," Jasmine ranted making Elana laugh. "I don't even curse, and I would've had to cuss her out," Jasmine added on. Elana laughed harder. "She's not that bad..." Elana said. "Girl," Jasmine said making sure to drag out the word, "I know you didn't just-." Elana laughed when Jasmine cut herself off and shook her head. They continued to watch TV until Elana fell asleep. Jasmine picked her up and brought her to her room.Shortly after Jasmine had tucked Elana in, Anthony arrived home. After she and Anthony both got ready, they both went to bed peacefully after their wonderful days.

*****

(1094 words)