Chapter 38: The places we should have been. (Part 1)

Start from the beginning

"An ancient beast," Kyle replied. "It was meant to sleep for a thousand years but looks like it woke up a bit early."

"Is it here?" Reina gripped her spear in preparation.

"No way," Lillia shook her head. "It would never fit in a tight place like this. It's a giant flying serpent."

Maila blanched, "Then the Sky Fortress-! Can Arvel defeat it?"

"We've actually fought it before," Lillia sighed. "Though we weren't as strong back then, the thing actually killed three of us including me and Arvel.... In the end we could only force it back into slumber."

"Then are you saying the Hero will lose?" Pelmont looked at them with great concern. "We need to return to the surface and help."

Kyle and Lillia shared a glance and thinking on the same wavelength both shook their heads, "Arvel will be fine. He's survived this long, he won't die to that thing today. Besides I'm sure Valandus and the others have a plan."

Maila smiled softly, "Then we'll also put our faith in them."

Shortly after they reached the first chamber, the atrium to the temple and where they had fought the supposed Earthen god and god of Rebirth several centuries before. It was empty with no signs of use aside from tracks passing through.

"Looks like the welcoming party will be saved for later," Pelmont stretched his shoulders. "You lot go ahead, I'll hold the rear from here. I'll make sure no one crosses this line till you come back."

"Will you be fine?" Maila asked.

"Ha!" Pelmont scoffed. "You may be technically older than I, but my experience doesn't lose to yours. Besides I don't usually fight fair." He pulled a sizeable machine from his cloak, proving the inside was much larger than it let on. "I assume this temple can withstand a few explosions?"

"The ground is actually much harder than it looks," Kyle smiled. "Go for your life."

"Then you as well. Good luck," Pelmont saluted them and began to set up a curious array of contraptions.

With the 1st officer left to protect the rear, the remaining four continued onward at a quick pace. Their vigilance didn't drop despite their speed but nothing appeared and it wasn't until they neared the next chamber that Lillia forced the group to halt.

"Hang on something isn't right," she frowned, confused as to what she was sensing. Compared to everyone else, Lillia had the best senses when it came to magic. "The next room, something is there but it's not something I've ever felt before."

"You mean as Lillia or as Lav?" Maila asked.

"I'm including all my experience here. It's alive, I think...."

"We only have one way forward so whatever it is we'll face it together," Kyle readied his sword and following the passage gazed into the chamber beyond.

The sight wasn't one any of them could expect. During the time devils ruled the world many atrocities took place, experiments to further magic research and the creation of horrors. The mutated mess in front of them easily matched those of the past and even went further beyond. The centrepiece of the creature was someone they were all familiar with, Anna the once secretary of the Hero's Guard. Her body half jutted from the top of the black monstrosity was the only part that resembled normality. Even compared to the mess of demons they had faced, the Primarchs or variety of type S demons, the thing before them should never have existed.

"Anna," Reina who had the most right to hate the women could only stare in horror. Her flesh was melded into the black ooze which made up its body. Disjointed arms made the legs which protruded at odd angles from its rolling centre. It wasn't only Anna as bits of other humans were blended in random assortments across it. The faces of the other traitors frozen in despair and the chunks of Lavise' signature black armour that once belonged to its loyal knights. Worse still was the sound it emitted. Not just from Anna but also the mouth like appendages that ran across its body. Groans of pain combined with manic shrills of laughter and between it words that could be clearly made out.

"Help me."

"End it... please!"

"I regret... I regret...."

"Bethi- Captain...."

"Philius has really gone too far," Kyle clenched the hilt of his sword tightly. Whatever experiments the councilman had tried it was clear he no longer cared for his subordinates.

"I've seen enough," Lillia closed her eyes only to open them determined. "I'll put it out of its misery." Her hands extended and a wave of piercing ice sprang from the ground rushing towards the mutated monster. The magic however never made impact as instead the mana itself seemed to disperse, forming into wisps of blue that were immediately absorbed by the remains of Anna. "This is going to be harder than I'd like isn't it?"