Chapter 6

Emil

"Em, let's go shopping."

I blinked and looked up. "Why?"

Denver raked his fingers through his hair and shook it out. "Because we need to get you more clothes and basic necessities. And I would like to buy stuff to spoil my baby boy."

I blushed and fiddled with the hem of my sweatshirt. "I-I don't know if I can h-handle it, Denver."

"You can, sweetheart. Besides, you'll be with me."

"True." I said, then pressed myself closer to his side while we sat on the couch. "I might regress from stress, but I've never gone below a four-year-old."

"So no diapers or baby bottles?"

I shook my head. "Nope, lucky you."

He chuckled. "I wouldn't have minded since it is you."

My cheeks warmed again. "You're such a slick talker."

"It's the truth, though."

"Denver, how old are you?"

My sudden question made him pause. "I'm thirty-two," he responded quietly, looking weirdly ashamed of himself. "Is that bad?"

I shook my head. "No, of course not. You look younger, though. I just had this feeling that you might be older than you look."

He smiled and nosed my cheek, tightening his hold on my waist. "Thank you for lifting my spirits, baby boy."

I grinned and replied, "You're welcome."

Denver lifted my form with a princess carry and went to our shared bedroom. We had been together for a couple of weeks, so I wasn't too polite anymore. Denver had told me repeatedly to allow myself to be more selfish, so I've tried to be more open. But it has been difficult since I can't even bring myself to be that way around my sister.

"What would you like to wear?" he asked, setting my butt on the bed and pulling the top of my white dresser drawers open.

"How about you pick?" I asked with a smile, since I liked it whenever he picked an outfit for me.

Denver knelt on one knee and chuckled to himself. "All right, baby boy. Anything goes?"

"Mmhm, I'll wear whatever you choose."

He smiled to himself and picked through the drawers, slowly putting pieces on the bed next to me. I watched them pile up, then he shut the drawers.

"Stand for me, sweetheart."

I hopped off the bed and waited patiently while he placed three outfits on the bed. He stared at them for a few seconds, then looked at me again. I blushed when he smirked. Denver began holding up my clothes to my chest, then slowly started putting some away. Finally, I was left with an oversized sweater, a pair of cropped skinny jeans that were stretchy, and ankle socks.

The ankle socks were white with little turtles on them, which I absolutely adored. The jeans were dyed a dark green and had little bronze buttons at the top and bottom hems. As for the sweater, it was a lighter green to white ombre that matched with the turtles on my socks. I feel like Charlie knew what she was doing when she bought me these clothes since they're from different brands.

Denver helped me undress, being ever so gentle with my still healing body, and then redressed me. I grinned when the sweater was pulled over my head, then waved the sleeves around like a kid to make him laugh. It worked because Denver chuckled and kissed my head. I hugged his shoulders and sank into his radiating warmth.