31 || Yours To Give

Start from the beginning

He walked up to me, sitting at the edge of the bed. "Why don't I help you with that."

I handed him the laptop, the project at hand written at the top.

"Cell senescence huh?" He frowned. "Sorry, not good at biology."

"Thought so." I laughed, taking it from him. "And that's microbiology."

"Blah blah… biology, microbiology. What's the difference?"

"Biology is the study of living organisms while microbiology, a more specific branch is the study of mi–"

He crept closer, making me lean back on the bed till he was practically on top of me.

"Nerd." He smiled.

"Dummy," I retorted.

He leaned closer, smirking. "Say that again?"

"Dum–"

"Ahem!"

We both turned to find Mr Malik standing right outside the door, a frown on his lips. Sh*t!

"Lunch's ready," he said to Ashton in a monotonous voice. We both got up, making out way out to the table.

"Maddison, a moment please," Mr Malik said, sting Ashton on his tracks.

Ashton turned to his dad. "Something you don't want me hearing?"

"Ashton, it's fine," I said. He looked at me, and I have him a reassuring nod. He finally backed down, leaving.

Mr Malik was silent, both hands behind his neatly pressed shirt. "Come with me," he said.

He led me to his study, a large room with numerous of books, a large mahogany desk at the centre with carefully arranged books and a small tray of nuts, the dim crystal chandelier illuminating the room.

He grabbed a chestnut, offering me. "Care for some?"

I shook my head as I sat. "Why am I here?"

"I could almost ask the same question?" He leaned against the desk, a hand in his pocket. "Why are you here, Maddison?"

I stared at him, unmoving.

"I don't want to fight, we both know who'd win if that even happened…" he said, almost like it were a brag.

It was true, Mr Malik had the connections, the wealth, the public sway. A fight with him was like punching a wall. Hard, painful and fruitless.

"I've given you everything, I saved your scholarship, I've welcomed you to my home… twice now…"

"Wow! Thank you for your hospitality," I said, not trying to hide my sarcasm.

He laughed even though there was no humor in his voice. "I've given you everything Maddison. But Ashton is the one thing you can't have."

I stood from my seat. "He isn't yours to give."

"Maybe you're right," Mr Malik said, he stood, walking to his seat and throwing a nut into his mouth. "But he isn't yours to take either… so Maddison, for your sake, I truly hope this was just a harmless friendly visit and not some poorly thought out attempt to get Ashton… one given you enough grace, I won't be so lenient next time."

I stood there, a mixture of emotions coursing through me. Anger and sadness mixing as one. But I managed to hope my tongue, instead I said, "understood."

"Good." He clapped. "then have a lovely stay, Jodie made the perfect shrimps and nice sauce to go with it, I'm sure you'd lik–"

"I have one question though," I cut. "What about me scares you?"

He stared at me for a second, then laughed. "I can assure you, I have no fears."

"That's a lie," I shot. "I can see it in your eyes, you look at me and there's a burning fear there, you're scared of me…"

"You're a bad influence on him."

I silently nodded. "I see."

I turned around, leaving the study.

•••

Another chapter done, it was supposed to be a lot longer but decided to split it with the next chapter. Hope you guys enjoyed.

What do you think is going to happen?

Any ideas who'd win in the match between Ashton and Devin? I'd love to know your thoughts, they're always fun to read seeing what crazy thoughts you guys come up with.

Anyway, don't forget to vote, each vote gets a virtual Oreo from me.

Love
-Thea